DNS on Win2K3 DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS on Win2K3 DC

Guy, I have just started a upgrade process of my win2K based network with two w2K based DC and exch 2000 on the network,
    These what I have already done,

1, Prepare exchange for mangled attribs,
    2, Prepare AD with forestprep and domainprep,
    3, run dcpromo on new w2K3 based machine and join the exisiting AD as new DC,

step still need to be done are DNS setup, fsmo role transfer and then demote the older dcs,

I need help with DNS setup on new w2k3 based DC, what kind of zone I should setup on this DC, forward lookup, reverse and forward both? we are medium size company with about 50 users all at same location,
    My plan is to make this new w2k3 based dc primary dns and later I would like to remove dns from older w2k based dc,
    Do i need to register and record in existing dns?
    please tell me how I should go about these?

Re: DNS on Win2K3 DC

One more thing, I just installed DNS on the new w2k3 based DC but did not configure it, now when I open dns mmc on the this new dc it shows the zone already setup on the older w2k based dc,
    on the older w2k based dc when i open dns, I can connect to all the dc inside that dns mmc and they all will show similar forwar and reverse lookup zone,

are they be showing same dns zone? i would like a copy of this zone on the newer w2k3 based dns so that in future I can demote the older w2k based dc which I believe is hosting the dns zone, and make this new server primary dns,

Comment

I would go for forward and reverse.

To test DNS, create a temporary record on the older 2000 server and see if it appears on the 2003 server. I was going to suggest using DNS AD Integrated but it looks like your 2000 machines are alredy configured that way

If DNS works then your ready to move FSMO roles and finally demote your older server(s). As you say make sure all client PC's are now looking at the DNS of the new server. This should include your Exchange server.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Please I need more input,

Anybody pls,

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Yantra View Post
          Please I need more input,

Anybody pls,

Thanks,
          ???

Have you followed the advice above? What was the result? What do you need more input WITH? What specific issue are you having, having followed the advice already given?

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Well I when I tried create record on old dns server it did showup on the new server, however I did not configure the dns server on the new DC, I just installed it and it is automatically showing the dns server configured on the new DC,
            It says to be AD integrated, and allowes Dynamic updates both secure and non-secure,
            how do I verify DNS on new dc is actually installed? I mean the zone data has replicated from old dc to new dc? or is it already done when it is AD integrated,
            is there a special location on the system drive to verify if then new DNS is all working and replicated, both dcdiag and netdiag on new dc coming fine,
            I am asking all these cause just want to make sure if I trasfer the FSMO roles everything should be fine.

one more thing, the new DC has two NICs is this error related to it? can I ignore it?

"DNS server has updated its own host (A) records. In order to ensure that its DS-integrated peer DNS servers are able to replicate with this server, an attempt was made to update them with the new records through dynamic update. An error was encountered during this update, the record data is the error code.

If this DNS server does not have any DS-integrated peers, then this error
            should be ignored"

Comment

If your new records are appearing on both servers and you say it's AD intergrated everything is working.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914050/en-us

Can you check the DNS records, for the server with this error, that it has the correct IP configured? It could be related to the two NICs. Maybe the server is setting the IP address of the wrong NIC in DNS.
              Does this server even need two NICs? Could one be disabled?
              What's the IP range of your servers?
              What's the IPs used on the server with this error message?

Although it mentions replication will fail it seems that it is working OK. Still, you should verify that the correct records exist. Without DNS working properly Windows AD networks will ultimately fail to work properly.
              Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

I have the second card disabled,

For a test I configured one machine with just new dns server in the NIC property and that machine seems to be working fine with outlook on it,

is there a log for DNS zone replication? where is the physical location for DNS zone?

Comment

It's just typical AD replication. There is no physical location other than the AD database itself (NTDS.DIT).

Your DNS setup should be:

Frist DC pointing to itself
                  Second DC pointing to itself
                  All other Servers and Workstations pointing to both DNS servers. But since your removing the first DC you would point all these to the Second (New) DC.

Comment

Working...
                  X