Activation of Password Requirements & Complexity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activation of Password Requirements & Complexity

This may be a simple question but I have not found a definitive answer to it so please bear with me.

We are about to set some password restrictions and lockout polices on our AD domain. Once enabled will it become effective immediately for those that do not meet the restrictions? Will all users have to reset their passwords or just those that do not meet the new requirements?

Password history
    Max age
    Min length
    Complexity
    lock out 15 min 4 attempts

Thanks.

Re: Activation of Password Requirements & Complexity

AFAIK users will only have to change their password to meet the new complexity when their passwor is due to be changed. Might be work resetting all users passwords to require changing (Via a script) just to be certain. Unless your happy waiting for users to change the password to meet the complexity requirement when they are forced to

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      AFAIK users will only have to change their password to meet the new complexity when their passwor is due to be changed. Might be work resetting all users passwords to require changing (Via a script) just to be certain. Unless your happy waiting for users to change the password to meet the complexity requirement when they are forced to

Michael
      Thanks for the reply.

So if I set the max age to say 14 all users would have to change PW within that range? Then change it to the 180 days we want for the long term.
      Also what is the default notification, 14 days?
      Last edited by wiggledbits; 5th September 2008, 16:56. Reason: added explination

Comment

Yes, 14.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
          Yes, 14.

Is that Yes (by setting the max age to 14 days I can force all users to change passwords?). Yes 14 is the default.? I went back over some tech net stuff and they quote 30. 14 or 30 I don't care just want to be accurate when I tell them the new rules.

Comment

Maximum password age checks the Password last set field.

If you turn it on, all user will be forced to change thier password. The default notification won't really come into play since the passwords will have expired.

Comment

Working...
            X