No announcement yet.

Mixed and Native Modes with 2 different aspects

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed and Native Modes with 2 different aspects

Hi All,

I'm new to this community and am looking forward to getting and sharing information.

I just started a 6 month job at a company to do some Windows work for them. The company has 4 Windows 2000 server machines with replicated Active Directories. One 2000 server is the master AD and also is running Exchange 2000. My task is to bring up a new Windows 2003 server box and get AD on it.

I’m confused about the difference between Mixed and Native Modes with 2 different aspects.

As I said above there is an Active Directory instance on the exchange box and 3 other Domain Controllers.

When I go into the Active Directory Users and Computers properties it says “Mixed mode (supports both Windows 2000 and pre-Windows 2000 domain controllers)”. However when I go into the actual Service Manager for exchange on the same Exchange Server box the properties tell me the following: Native Mode (no pre-Exchange 2000 servers).

I’m unsure what the difference is between the two modes in the two different locations on the Exchange box. Does anyone have any clue of what I should do?

I want to bring all of them to Native Mode. Can I just upgrade all 4 of the existing 2000 servers to Native mode in the AD properties? The reason I have to do this is that I have to run the 2003 dcpromo.exe /forestprep on the old Exchange AD to be able to promote the 2003 server to a Domain Controller.

I appreciate any help and direction you can give me.

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by biggles77; 29th August 2008, 16:14. Reason: Removed size formatting for easier reading.

Re: Mixed and Native Modes with 2 different aspects

The domain mode is for domain controllers. The Exchange mode is for Exchange servers. They are two different things. Functional levels have mostly to do with security.

If you have no pre Windows 2000 Domain Controllers then you can raise the domain to Windows 2000 functional level.

If you have no pre Exchange 2000 Exchange servers then you can raise your Exchange Organization to the Exchange 2000 functional level.