No announcement yet.

Windows share credentials

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows share credentials

I hope that would be the right forum for this issue.

I have a server with a share \\ServerName\Share. My AD user has the necessary credentials and can access that share.
    I would like to override that share and redirect it to my local machine.
    I added the following line in my hosts file: ServerName

Now, when I ping ServerName, I get as expected. Yet if I try to access \\ServerName I get the following message:

\\ServerName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect.

which is ridiculous since I'm actually trying to access my local machine. If I access it using \\ it works as expected (and so using my machine name). I don't have any password cache for ServerName and working on Vista and Windows 2003 AD.

any help much appriciated!

Re: Windows share credentials

The problem is that your machine doesn't "listen" for requests for "ServerName" because that's not it's name. Follow the steps in the article below regarding creating the appropriate registry entry.

Take note that if you plan on giving other computers access to this share on your machine that you'll have to create a cname record in your DNS that points "ServerName" to the real ip of your machine and not the loopback address. Also note that if you do this, all requests for any resource on "ServerName" will be directed to your machine. This might have unintended consequences and problems on the network depending on what role "ServerName" provides.