Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up an existing Server 2000 Domain Controller as BDC in a Server 2003 Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up an existing Server 2000 Domain Controller as BDC in a Server 2003 Domain

Hi all,

This is my first time in this forum a and i must you guys are doing a great job. I setup a new Domain and have only one domain controller and i have added machines and setup users and there's this other network that is not connected to the LAN and has a Server 2000 Domain Controller too and i want to add it to my new Domain as a Secondary/Backup domain controller so that users login into the BDC would be authenticated by Primary Domain controller, i.e the Server 2003 Domain Controller. Please how can go about this?

Thanks a lot.

gbolaboa.

Re: Setting up an existing Server 2000 Domain Controller as BDC in a Server 2003 Doma

Eh?

If you add a domain controller in the same domain and site as the other domain controller, it won't matter what you do, some users will be authenticated by one DC and some users will be authenticated by the other DC. There is NO SUCH THING as a "secondary" or "backup" domain controller in a Windows 2000 or above AD domain. All DC's are read/write, and all DCs carry out authentication work.

If you still want to do this, you will have to make sure that your domain and forest are NOT in Windows Server 2003 functional level. If they are, then you've blown it - the Windows 2000 box will not be accepted as a DC, and you cannot go "backwards" with the functional level. If the functional level (of both domain AND forest) is set to ANYTHING less than that, then you can add a Windows 2000 DC without issue; but you will not get some of the "funkier" abilities of a Server 2003 domain.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Setting up an existing Server 2000 Domain Controller as BDC in a Server 2003 Doma

Start > Run > dcpromo > OK

As said before as long as you haven't increased the domain functional level then you should be ok.

AD Users & Computers
      Right Click the domain name and select Raise Domain Fuctional Level...
      Don't change anything here. As long as it doesn't say 'Windows Server 2003' then your good to go.

Recommend that you make your DNS AD Intergrated on both servers. Make sure you make the second server a Global Catalog server to process user logins. Add the new DNS as a secondary DNS to all Windows Client PC's.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

hi all,

Thanks for all your comments luckily my Domain functional level is WIndows 2000 mixed and i would go ahead to try the other points stated.
        Thanks a lot guys for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X