Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP problem

Greetings,
    I have a windows 2003 server that is a file server on my network. In addition (don't ask) it is the dhcp server for the network. Let's call this machine Joe.

I have recently converted the network to Active Directory. Today, I joined "Joe" to the Active directory (computer -> properties ->join etc). When it rebooted it complained that a service didn't start. Look at the event log and it appears that DHCP is unhappy.

I started DHCP management from menu. It said it wasn't authorized in the AD. I followed the steps to try and authorize it, but it generated the error "DHCP Service could not contact Active Direcotry".

I joined the machine so it evidently could "see" the AD. AD server is running, and authenticated me when I logged in as a domain user.

Would appreciated any ideas, guidance.

thanks,
    Darryl

Re: DHCP problem

check in the server's the DNS suffix and see that the suffix is the DNS name of your domain.
    this could be found in 2 places.
    check them on all your Active NICs.
    1) TCPIP -> settings - > advanced -> DNS tab -> DNS Suffix for this connection
    2) properties of "My computer" -> Computer name -> Change... -> More... -> Primary DNS Suffix for this computer.
    and check that the DNS server settings on the server matches your DNS in your Domain.
    Last edited by Akila; 17th August 2008, 16:55.

Comment

Greetings,
      When I look at
      I see "append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" selected and a check box under it checked with "append parent suffixes of primary DNS suffix".

when I look at
      2) properties of "My computer" -> Computer name -> Change... -> More... ->
      I see check box checked with "change primary DNS suffix when domain membership changes".

do I need to change anything ?

Comment

Originally posted by ksukat View Post
        Greetings,
        When I look at
        I see "append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" selected and a check box under it checked with "append parent suffixes of primary DNS suffix".

when I look at
        2) properties of "My computer" -> Computer name -> Change... -> More... ->
        I see check box checked with "change primary DNS suffix when domain membership changes".

do I need to change anything ?
        No, those settings are fine

Comment

So,
          I joined the 2003 server to the Active Directory. DHCP quit working and said it needed authorized. Tried to authorized and got the error message:

DHCP Service could not contact Active Directory.

Why ??????

Comment

bump.

Anybody have any ideas ?

thanks.

Comment

Can you start the DHCPserver service manualy? (and Stop + Start)

If still not able to authorize the DHCP server, try to run this command to check if you can connect to the GC from that server:
              Start / Run: CMD /K @dsquery computer FORESTROOT -GC -SAMID %computername%$
              It should return the DN of the server, if it does not, no global catalog server could be found or was unable to contact the CG.

\Rems
              Last edited by Rems; 22nd August 2008, 22:45.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Re: DHCP problem - Solution

Greetings,
                Well, after much searching and reading I came across a tid bit that said you could get this message if you didn't have the right permissions when you try to authorize.

so, I made sure I logged in as a domain admin (on the machine that has DHCP running) and authorized it. Worked like a champ, no problems. Man, but that error message is misleading. They really should have it say something relevant like "hey dork, you don't have permissions to do that".

thanks everybody.

-Darryl

Comment

Glad you got it sorted Darryl.

Quoted from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303317
                  make sure that you are logged on as a member of the Domain Administrators group for the domain where you want to add the DHCP server, and that you are logged on as a member of the Enterprise Administrators group for the Active Directory Forest.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                  X