No announcement yet.

Updating an older network.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating an older network.

I am looking for some general advice. I am working with a small business that has a single NT 4 server and 20 PC that are a mix of XP Pro, XP Home Ed. and Win98. They have setup a domain and all machines have a static IP. There are two client-server applications that they use, Peachtree and tracking database for equipment. All hardware is Dell. They have recently purchased a new Dell 1800 (Win 2003 Std. Ed.)server to host the applictions. To my knowledge the network has no DHCP server(every pc has a static IP) and the is no DNS.

Should I set up the new server as the AD server and contend with the Win98 incompatability with AD? Should I leave the NT 4 system and add the new server to the existing domain?

Any suggestions woul d be greatly appreciated.

Firstly please don't double post.

Secondly to give you my advice, upgrade the 98 machiens to xp/2000, new server as AD, DNS, DHCP etc.. and get rid the timebomb that is the NT4 server!

Only kidding, but you have to move with the times and a new piece of hardware deserves the latest OS. You will be thankful of this upgrade route when time comes to upgrade to longhorn server or whatever the one after that is. Microsoft wont be doing an upgrade path from NT4 to it thats for sure!!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

FYI: XP Home can not be domain member

In your place I would consider going for SBS instead of W2K3 Standard
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"