Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change ip address of domain controller

Hello everyone!!

I am new to this website.I have a domain at my workplace ( with three domain controllers, w2k3) which has three networks in it(vlans).

Now additional 6 vlans are going to come in this domain which are isolated (air gap) from the old three networks. How do i use the same AD database to autheticate users and also migrate all the workstations to the 6 new networks. Till now we did the following

1) changed ip address of one domain controller ( a global catalog one, also having DNS on it) to a new static ip address from one of the 6 networks.

2) Created one machine account in it and tried to put a desktop in domain, but it throws error.Nslookup and ping <domainname> works from the desktop machine.

Please advice me.

Regards
    Laxmikant S G

Re: change ip address of domain controller

You could dual home the server rather than change its IP address. Make sure the second NIC is setup so it is connected to the 6 vlans and can ping the hosts. Make sure DNS is setup to respond on all IP addresses for that server. Make sure the clients in the 6 vlans use it for DNS resolution.

EDIT: Just to check as well, when you changed its IP address I assume you could still access all of the other servers? Did you check DNS had registered the new IP address globally as well?
    Last edited by AndyJG247; 14th August 2008, 12:45.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

One thing I don't get Andy.
      if the Second NIC is connected to all the VLANS then Under what IP the A record of the DC would be registered in the DNS?
      it can't contain all 6 IPs on one A record and if you create 6 A records
      for the DC , some users that don't have access to those VLANS would not be able to connect to the DC.....
      Another question is, what about the 1st NIC it would probably try register it's IP address as well, so how do you over come this?
      If I am not mistaking, I think there is a Special Procedure for Multi Homing NICs for DCs.
      Unless I misunderstood you completely.
      Last edited by Akila; 14th August 2008, 15:56.

Comment

Good Q Akila.
        There are some steps here regarding some of it here
        http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/954155.htm
        http://forums.techarena.in/server-dns/509733.htm
        sounds like fun....
        Now I am wondering about how you force the client to use that server rather than a random one though. Hmm
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X