DNS Redirect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Redirect

I am not sure how to do this or even if it can be done.

I have two domain names lets call them abc.com and abc.net

abc.com contains many pages that are different services provided by the company, for example abc.com/sales abc.com/service etc.

In DNS for abc.net I have created a cname record that points to abc.com, is there a way to make the cname record accept abc.com/sales and redirect people to the correct page automatically?

If not is my only alternative to set up redirects in IIS? .

Server info
    DNS is running on windows 2003 SP2
    Web servers are running on a mixture of Linux/W2K and W2K3
    Stacey Smith
    Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Re: DNS Redirect

No, DNS records only take host names. You can either use a simple HTML/JavaScript page to redirect or do it at the web server level.

Comment

yes, that's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure because I am no DNS expert and there might have been some obscure record type I wasn't familiar with.

thanks.
      Stacey Smith
      Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

there is another way I think....
        if you have a server, let's say it is called IISSRV that holds the web application called "Portal"
        you can create a CNAME "Portal" that would point to IISSRV and in the IISSRV IIS management you can add on the "Portal" web application the "Portal" header, that means that what the user has to type in his browser is the word "http://portal".
        I don't know if that is what exactly what you looking for , but I think this could help you out.

Comment

That's called Host Headers and still only works at the host name level.

Comment

Working...
          X