Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a server to an Active Directory

Greetings,
    I have a small network (30 clients, couple of servers).
    I created an Active Directory, and server adserver handles it.

I have another windows2003 server in on the network that has
    user files on it. I would like to setup this machine on the network such that it is a backup to the AD server should it fail.

What do I need to do to make this happen ? I can't wipe the server and start from scratch.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Darryl

Re: Add a server to an Active Directory

I am assuming that you are wanting to add a secondary/backup domain controller to your network?

Follow these instructions on how to add a Windows 2003 server as a domain controller.

http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

U need to elaborate the Scenerio, I don't understand what do you mean by

"setup this machine on the network such that it is a backup to the AD server should it fail."

Do You mean, if one DC goes down the new server to take charge?

If so, u just need to promote that server as additional domain controler (ADC).

Hope this will solve your purpose...

Regards
      Hari Shanker
      VCP, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA:

" Think beyond and you will go beyond."
      (Your thoughts create your reality. Widen your expectations and thought process and you'll be amazed at how thinking bigger will bring on bigger things.)

Comment

Yes,
        The current machine (adserver) is the primary. I handles the AD. I want to setup this existing 2003 server as a domain server so that if the adserver dies (hardware, whatever) that this second machine will handle the AD (logins, security, etc).

So, the second machine (lets call it secondserver) has to be joined to the AD, then promoted to a member server ?

I assume the AD will sync with the member server to keep it current.

I also assume this can all be done without having to wipe/reinstall the server ?

Comment

I believe if you have a second windows 2003 server on the network, and promote it to domain controller it will assume the role of second, synch up with the first if you have replication setup and if the first server were to crash, the second would take the role of first.

When you got the former number one back on line, it would take the role of second..............

There may be more to this than what I have mentioned, but I dont think so.

Comment

Originally posted by ksukat View Post
            Yes,
            The current machine (adserver) is the primary. I handles the AD. I want to setup this existing 2003 server as a domain server so that if the adserver dies (hardware, whatever) that this second machine will handle the AD (logins, security, etc).

So, the second machine (lets call it secondserver) has to be joined to the AD, then promoted to a member server ?

I assume the AD will sync with the member server to keep it current.

I also assume this can all be done without having to wipe/reinstall the server ?
            In this situation it is quite simple, promote the existing member server (2003 server) as Additional Domain controller (ADC). It will automaticaly sync with your current DC and after that if the current DC goes down, u just need to seize the FSMO roles.
            Hari Shanker

(Your thoughts create your reality. Widen your expectations and thought process and you'll be amazed at how thinking bigger will bring on bigger things.)

Comment

So,
              I would join the server to the AD. Once joined, I would then promote it to ADC (Additional domain controller) ?

What do I use to promote the member server to ADC ? DCPromo ?

thanks,
              Darryl

Comment

Yes, use dcpromo but first please do what Boondock said: read the brilliant article at http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.
                MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Article says in the beginning,
                  NOTE: this is only good for installing the FIRST domain controller in a
                  NEW AD Domain, in a NEW TREE, in a NEW FOREST. Meaning - don't do it for any other scenario, such as a new replica DC in an existing domain

so should I follow it or not ?

Comment

Don't get confused between DC and ADC. U Just need to follow the following steps.
                    1) Run DCPROMO on to the server 2003 machine, this will run AD installation wizard.

2) Click Next twice.

3). You ned to select Domain controller type as additional domain controller for an exixting domain.

Btw: Make sure you have configured DNS propely. i.e. DNS is installed and entry should be in TCP/IP properties.
                    Hari Shanker

Comment

I can't wipe the server and start from scratch.
                      Just as a side question, why? Is there more we need to know about this server? Is it running apps or something?
                      cheers
                      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

No,
                        it is a file server (user data, department data and main business application client files). It also is the DHCP server for the domain.

I would be a pain in the rear to wipe and redo. It could be done, but if there is a simpler solution then that is the one I want.

-Darryl

Comment

So,
                          I won't lose any data if I do a dcpromo and make the server a member server of the domain (so it can handle the AD, should the AD server fail) ?

Is this the best approach ? I'm just looking for coverage should the AD server fail.

thanks,
                          Darryl

Comment

So,
                            I won't lose any data if I do a dcpromo and make the server a member server of the domain (so it can handle the AD, should the AD server fail) ?

Is this the best approach ? I'm just looking for coverage should the AD server fail.

thanks,
                            Darryl
                            Once you run DCPROMO, it would not remain a member server anymore, this would become an Additional Domain Controller(ADC). ADC would automaticaly handle the responsibility if Root DC (Main AD) goes down.

As far as data lose concerned runnining DCPROMO never cause data loss.
                            Hari Shanker

Comment

Originally posted by shankerhari View Post
                              Once you run DCPROMO, it would not remain a member server anymore, this would become an Additional Domain Controller(ADC). ADC would automaticaly handle the responsibility if Root DC (Main AD) goes down.

As far as data lose concerned runnining DCPROMO never cause data loss.
                              ksukat. Just to add further reassurance (if you havent had enough already!). Running dcpromo to promote a member server to a domain controller is NOT going to cause data loss for any files that would concern you in this instance.

Comment

Working...
                              X