Rename AD domain suffix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rename AD domain suffix

I wonder if anybody can help? I've recently taken over a small company with a small network as follows:

1x Win2003 Server running DC/GC/DNS/DHCP/WINS
    1x Win2003 Member Server running Exchange 2003 SP2
    1x Win2000 Server running as DC/DNS
    1x Win2003 Member server running file/print

The internal domain name is exactly the same name as the external domain name using a co.uk suffix instead of a .local suffix, I'd like to change this to the .local suffix and wondered the best way to go about it. Would I use the Domain rename tools or is there another option?

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Re: Rename AD domain suffix

I would also like to know this.

There is one issue with your setup though which is that the secondary DC is Windows 2000. Renaming a domain was a feature first available in Windows 2003. I think a general requirement is that all DC's are at least Windows 2003.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I was going to demote the 2000 DC to a member server anyway so it wouldn't be a problem to bring that work forwards to coincide with the domain change.

Any more ideas anybody?

Comment

please review: http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Is a suffix change still classed as a domain name rename? i.e. will it let me use the same domain name but with a different suffix?

Comment

LOL!!

DNS domain names are ONE name, with several parts. Windows 2000 Server Active Directory and later uses DNS domain names.

For instance, in the DNS web address www.petri.com, www is the host name which belongs to the domain petri.co.il. There is no separate "suffix" when you're talking DNS domain names. When you're talking Microsoft Windows Networking, you have a "Suffix Search Order" - but this is simply a VERY poor name for "DNS Domain Name Search Order".

So - the domain "domain.com" and "domain.net" are two different domains... not the same name with a different suffix - i.e. you could host different web sites on different hosting companies on BOTH of those names.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Ok, thanks for that. So do you have any advice for renaming the internal domain name from .co.uk to .local ?

Comment

See the information Dumber linked for you.

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by ljs007 View Post
                  Ok, thanks for that. So do you have any advice for renaming the internal domain name from .co.uk to .local ?
                  Not to thread hi-jack, but I'm sort of in the same situation where I'd like to rename from domain.com to domain.local, but I've still got a 2000 domain and not 2003.

I've read over the 2003 domain rename doc AND the 2000 domain rename doc and since my 2000 domain is in native mode, I believe I'm SOL. Any thoughts?

Comment

Yup as already said, this a Windows 2003 Server+ only feature. Sorry.
                    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

then remove your 2000 DC as you said you did not mind doing.
                      then make/change your Forest/Domain Functionality Level to 2003.
                      once that is done , use the DOC file you were pointed to.

Comment

Working...
                      X