Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate DNS Queries

Hi,

I have a single AD Domain across two sites. I currently have 2 DCs in main site and 1 DC in remote site. All are acting as DNS servers with integrated AD Zone and all have Forwarders for internet queries.

I would like to remove the 2nd DC in the main site and rely on 2 DCs only, 1 in each site but I have noticed setting the XP clients to use a remote DNS Server as an alternate DNS is causing DNS lookups over the WAN. I would expect clients would use the Primary DNS server exclusively unless it became unavailable but this doesn't seem to be happening.

Basically I would prefer to avoid DNS lookups over the WAN unless absolutely necessary ie if a DC goes down. Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Re: Alternate DNS Queries

Are they different sites as in "sites and services" or different sites as in I have my office site here and a remote site over there.
    Are they all GCs?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi,

Yes they are different sites in Sites and Services separate subnets over a VPN link.

They are all Global Catalogs

Comment

configure the Primary DNS on the clients to point to the remaining DNS server and as a secondary DNS to point to the remote site's DC, then remove the DC.
        if you really want to avoid a DNS queries over the WAN , then pick one of your FileServers (etc) and Install a DNS service on it and then create a Secondary Zone pulling from the DC on site and configure the clients to use that server as a secondary DNS server.
        again as I mentioned in another Post - Global catalog has no role with this decision as mentioned in one of the replies, one has nothing to do with the other.
        Last edited by Akila; 7th August 2008, 17:07.

Comment

Hi Akila,

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a good workaround.

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X