X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separate domain of the forest.

Hello friends!

Excuse my English, I speak Spanish.

I have a problem with the current directory of my business. Our forest is organized as follows:

There is a primary domain empresa.com of each branch is one level below, for example sucursal1.empresa.com, sucursal2.empresa.com, etc.. All domain controllers run on Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition.

So far everything works well, the domains are established and replicate the respective relations of trust between them. Now the problem is that we want the domains of branches no longer depend on the primary domain empresa.com and as far as I know that this would have to reinstall again sucursalX.empresa.com servers, creating a new domain and re-unite all PC to the new domain. The problem with this method is that there are many workstations distributed in remote locations and this would be very cumbersome.

My question is, there is a way of separating domains sucursalX.empresa.com the forest so that it is transparent for workstations?

We welcome any suggestion.

Greetings and good luck!

Re: Separate domain of the forest.

one thing I didn't quite get is: are "sucursal1.empresa.com, sucursal2.empresa.com" Sub domains or Domain Controllers?

Comment

"sucursal1.empresa.com, sucursal2.empresa.com" are subdomains.

Comment

I would like to summarize your goal.
        what I understand from you is that you got a forest root domain under the name of "empresa.com".
        under the root domain you got "sucursal1.empresa.com, sucursal2.empresa.com" child domains.
        what you want to achieve is that ever domain would be a separate
        Forest/Domain? e.g.
        "empresa.com" - One Forest/One Domain
        "sucursal1.empresa.com" - One Forest/One Domain
        "sucursal2.empresa.com" - One Forest/One Domain

or what you want is that all Sub Domains would be merged into one forest/domain "empresa.com"?
        eliminating "sucursal1.empresa.com,"sucursal2.empresa.com

which one of the scenarios you are referring to?

Comment

I suspect it is the latter from the first post but I may be wrong.

You can't change a child domain into a root domain but you could add in some more dc's to the root and then tear them out (once synced) and force the forest/domain roles onto them therefore ending up with 3 root domains of empresa.com and then 1 of these having sucursal1.empresa.com and another having sucursal2.empresa.com with the final just empresa.com? Obviously there would be AD cleanup involved and you would need to make sure you cleaned AD up properly.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Akila:

What I want to achieve is that each of the current subdomains (sucursal1.empresa.com, sucursal2.empresa.com) into the forest with an independent domain.

e.g.
            "empresa.com" - One Forest/One Domain
            "sucursal1.empresa.com" - One Forest/One Domain
            "sucursal2.empresa.com" - One Forest/One Domain

Thanks.

Comment

AndyJG247:

There is at least a way to export all objects in the current directory with their respective IDs, so that then imported into a new domain and users can continue logging in the domain and printing to shared printers without changing anything in workstations?

Comment

Hmm, that actually made it less clear to me!

What I want to achieve is that each of the current subdomains (sucursal1.empresa.com, sucursal2.empresa.com) into the forest with an independent domain.

Do you mean, like Akila says, that you want all of the existing objects within those sub domains "moved" into the root domain?
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post

Do you mean, like Akila says, that you want all of the existing objects within those sub domains "moved" into the root domain?
                  it appears he wants to detach every sub domain to be a domain by it's own and not move all the objects into one domain.

Comment

I want to keep objects that each domain where they are, not moving objects in a domain.

Just those who today are subdomains into separate domains in forests.

Comment

Sorry , but I don't know if it is possible, maybe others would know.

Comment

Once a forest is built, you cannot "split" domains off it and create new forests. The sub-domains will always be members of the forest they were born in; even if they cannot connect to the parent domain.

This is because the SID of objects in all member domains contains an element of the forest SID. The domain controllers need to talk to the Domain Naming Master (there's only one in the forest) and the Schema Master (again, there's only one in the forest). These parameters are built into the domain controllers of each member domain and are fixed; with certificates and so on to encrypt data transfer between them and to ensure the identity of machines attempting communication. To try to take this apart might take weeks.
                        Last edited by Stonelaughter; 7th August 2008, 22:19.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

You can't change a child domain into a root domain but you could add in some more dc's to the root and then tear them out (once synced) and force the forest/domain roles onto them therefore ending up with 3 root domains of empresa.com and then 1 of these having sucursal1.empresa.com and another having sucursal2.empresa.com with the final just empresa.com? Obviously there would be AD cleanup involved and you would need to make sure you cleaned AD up properly.
                          Try this maybe?
                          cheers
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Zenkius View Post
                            I want to keep objects that each domain where they are, not moving objects in a domain.

Just those who today are subdomains into separate domains in forests.
                            I M prety much sure, there is no way to do this. once a forest built the child domain cannot be detach and child domain cannot become separate domain.
                            Hari Shanker
                            VCP, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA:

" Think beyond and you will go beyond."
                            (Your thoughts create your reality. Widen your expectations and thought process and you'll be amazed at how thinking bigger will bring on bigger things.)

Comment

Working...
                            X