Modify AD schema to add dropdown menus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modify AD schema to add dropdown menus

Does anybody know if its possible to modify AD so that you can add drop down boxes for various user attributes (such as department) it would be great to have a predifined list of departments available instead of manually typing in the department. (and the spelling mistakes that go with it)
    the ability to do this is already available in the country field.
    cheers

Re: Modify AD schema to add dropdown menus

Eh? The schema allows you to add FIELDS to the AD - but how you access those fields is managed by the GUI, not by AD.

So, if you had four office locations, you could theoretically add a field in AD which allowed you to record which location a user was at; but that field would not even appear in dialog boxes until you created a form which looked at it - and when you created the form you would decide how to present that field to the user - i.e. whether it was a drop down box, a selectable list or a free-text form field.

So - drop downs are a GUI/Form function - NOT an AD function.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Sorry i was a bit vague in my description,
      what i need to be able to do is modify the ad schema (Department Field) so that when i modify a users properties using active directory users and computers i have a drop down box for department instead of a free text field. The idea being i can predifine our organisations departments so that a drop down box appears the same as it does for country.
      thanks,
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't think that's possible. THe ADUC user "form" is a programming object (written in Visual C++ or something like that) and is not a shema object. In order to change the field to a drop down you'd have to modify that object in the project that stores that form in Visual Studio, etc. I don't think MS is likely to give you access to that project, which is probably kept under lock and key at Bill's house.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          I don't think that's possible. THe ADUC user "form" is a programming object (written in Visual C++ or something like that) and is not a shema object. In order to change the field to a drop down you'd have to modify that object in the project that stores that form in Visual Studio, etc. I don't think MS is likely to give you access to that project, which is probably kept under lock and key at Bill's house.

thanks for your responese,we have been looking at some third party apps which will provide similar (quest was one one of them) so guess we will have to spend some $$$$

Comment

Originally posted by hazey View Post
            Sorry i was a bit vague in my description,
            what i need to be able to do is modify the ad schema (Department Field) so that when i modify a users properties using active directory users and computers i have a drop down box for department instead of a free text field. The idea being i can predifine our organisations departments so that a drop down box appears the same as it does for country.
            thanks,
            And as my explanation clearly stated, the form elements are a GUI function, and NOT contained within the Schema.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
            X