adding a 2003 server to a 2000 domain as another DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a 2003 server to a 2000 domain as another DC

Got a long question for someone. I'm new in the industry trying to learn as I go so any help is much appriciated. I have a win 2000 domain that I will be adding a 2003 server to. I would like to have both as domain controllers. I read some articles and this is what I have so far

Run adprep /forestprep on the 2k server the run adprep /domain prep also on the 2k server. Then run dcpromo on the 2003 server and add it to the domain.

Couple of questions:
    1. is this proccess correct? Is that all I need to do?
    2. Will AD be on both servers then, if so which one will the users be logging into.

thanks!

1. Sounds good to me.
    2. Logon selection is random in the same site. Make sure all clients have _both_ DC's as DNS servers.

> Then run dcpromo on the 2003 server and add it to the domain.

Actually, the reverse is smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
      2. Logon selection is random in the same site. Make sure all clients have _both_ DC's as DNS servers.
      And ensure both are DNS servers?
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

ok what about this situation if they log on to either box. What it server 1 has a share on it called "test". The loggon script to on that server would map them to that box. If they at random logged onto server 2 I would just have to have a different script on that box pointing them the the other server?

Comment

No, the logon script is in the NETLOGON folder. That is replicated automatically between DC's. That means that the client will always find the logon script, and point the user to server1. But if server1 is down this is completely useless of course.

Comment

Ok, new idea. Server 1 is the DC right now (2k) and I want to leave it in the domain but make all the users log onto the new server, server 2 (2003) and still keep the old one in the domain, not as a dc, just as a member server for it's resources. How would I go about that?

Comment

Make the new server a Global Catalog, and demote the old one (i.e. run dcpromo). That's it.

Comment

Working...
              X