Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tool to modified AD attributes

hello people.

I would like to know which is the tool that I need to perform modification to active directory.
    Explanation, for example, I the below screenshot I would like to delete on of those attributes and in the same way I would like to create them.

Which is the tool for that.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: A tool to modified AD attributes

ADmodify , you can D/L it from Microsoft Site.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx

Comment

But beware any modifications to AD have the potential to break it completely. If you dont know exactly what an attribute does, DO NOT mess with it.

And even if you do, have some backups ready first!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        But beware any modifications to AD have the potential to break it completely. If you dont know exactly what an attribute does, DO NOT mess with it.

And even if you do, have some backups ready first!
        ohh, yeah , you can mess it up BIG time (4got mentioning it).
        Thanks Ossian

Comment

Can ADModify edit those properties? I thought it was limited to certain ones (albeit it is a fantastic program).
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            Can ADModify edit those properties? I thought it was limited to certain ones (albeit it is a fantastic program).
            the newer version is really powerful now in compare to the older version, I used it some times.
            Basically any property that could be reached with an LDAP query could be modify and many more this tool could give you.

Comment

Will have to look at it again! (apologies for the slight hijack here Nehemoth)
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thank you guys.

No problem, I won't use at production I swear, I will use in my test domain.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by Nehemoth View Post
                  Thank you guys.

No problem, I won't use at production I swear, I will use in my test domain.

you can use it in the production , no problem , just be aware of what you are doing.
                  BTW - the new version also has a roll back to actions you did , so it is safer to use then the older versions.

Comment

You can modify it natively by running the following from a command prompt: regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll. Go into administrative tools and the new .msc will be listed at the top. You can modify any of the attributes from there.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                      You can modify it natively by running the following from a command prompt: regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll. Go into administrative tools and the new .msc will be listed at the top. You can modify any of the attributes from there.

Oh my, this information is good, really good.

I will enjoy this weekend

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Make sure you take a backup of your system state first as any modifications to the AD attributes/schema can have negative effects on the AD structure if done incorrectly.

Comment

In addition if the new console doesnt appear in administrative tools you can either create your own custom MMC and add it that way or browse to the %windows%/system32 folder and located the microsoft console in there under active directory schema. Im presuming the reason why the .dll isnt registered by default is for security purposes lest anyone make changes to the schema without knowing what there doing.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                            Make sure you take a backup of your system state first as any modifications to the AD attributes/schema can have negative effects on the AD structure if done incorrectly.
                            This backup would do him no good if he has more then one DC, unlike a regular AD object a Schema extension could not be restored (reverse it's creation)
                            to restore the schema to an older state he would have to reconstruct the entire forest , meaning restore all DCs to the same point in time of b4 the extension.
                            But, there is a question , since he is not extending the schema (as far as I can tell), it might not be true at that case, so I suggest you looking into it b4 you actually going to do the change in the Schema.
                            I would recommend Disabling outbound replication on the schema master using repadmin, do the change, make sure everything is working as it should (no negative feedback) then enable outbound replication.
                            one thing I couldn't quite understand, you want to delete an attribute as shown on the screen shot?
                            It's not possible to delete the attribute, it's a Schema Attribute , you can't just delete the attribute, you can modify it's value but not delete the attribute itself.
                            Schema is only a one way street - you can only add to it an attribute, not delete one.
                            and besides , if you modify some of the attribute properties, it would not change them on the AD object itself, so using the Schema dll would yield you no good.
                            you must modify the AD objects themselves as we told you ,using the ADModify.
                            Last edited by Akila; 30th July 2008, 20:55.

Comment

Guys, ADModify.net has support for custom fields ! I remember using it one to set msRTCSIP-UserEnabled somewhere.
                              VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Working...
                              X