Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional users unable to access folder share with PDF files

Okay, here's my situation:

Our company has regional users (contractors) that do not use company laptops and are accessing our network through VPN. They can connect to VPN just fine and are able to get to our company intranet page with no problem; however, when they click on the links to access PDF files on a network folder they are unable to open them.

If I provide them with the direct path to the folder \\server01\sharedfolder they are still unable to access the files in that folder. They can see the files, but they can't open them. The security settings are set to allow the Domain Users group with Read access to the folder where the PDF files are located. Anyone have a clue what could be causing this?
    Last edited by a2thed; 24th July 2008, 18:33.

Re: Regional users unable to access folder share with PDF files

does it give them an access denied?

Comment

does those contractors have a user account in the domain?

Comment

Originally posted by derk View Post
        does it give them an access denied?
        No. When they try to open it their computer freezes up. I'm assuming it's because they're going through VPN and the connection would be a lot slower, but don't know for sure. I can't figure out what the issue is.

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
          does those contractors have a user account in the domain?
          Yes, and they are in the same security groups as other users that are employees.

Comment

to eliminate the slow link issue , please create a TXT file in that folder with one line of text in it, then let the VPN users try and open it.
            keep me posted on the results.

Comment

The issue has been resolved. I used Live Meeting to look at the user's machine and when I tried to access the folder where the files are located the logon prompt came up. He never mentioned this to me until I asked him if the logon prompt came up before and he said, "yes." He was entering his user name and password, but not the domain.

He should have been using the following format:

domain\jdoe
              password

He would not have had any issues had he configured VPN correctly, but he skipped the step that was supposed to include the domain on the logon prompt.

The issue is resolved and this thread can be closed. Geez, this was a headache!!

Comment

Working...
              X