Setting Up a Child Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up a Child Domain

Guys, I want to setup a child domain but I am having difficulty doing so. I have already setup the root domain. This is my situation: The site where I want to setup the child domain is like 6 miles away from where the root domain was setup. Both sites have a Router and a Firewall setup in each sites with NAT enabled on the Router. The first site has an IP address of 192.168.2.2 and the second site has an IP address of 192.168.3.2 address. What do I need to put in place to effectively setup the child domain in the 192.168.3.2 network. Thanks guys.

192.168.3.2 is an IP address and not a network ID.

what are the subnets on both sides ?

P.S.: you MUST have DCs fully routed. DNAT to single IP is not supported for DCs. DC has to be addressable from outside by a dedicated IP.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Ok let me put it this way. 192.168.2 is the network for site A and 192.168.3 is the network for site B. I want to setup a Child Domain in the 192.168.3 network. If you can please provide a solution for me I will be most grateful.

Comment

Couldn't poweredge set-up an RRAS to RRAS VPN and use routes on the Servers to get them talking? Just a thought
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Just wondering, if the routers which make the connection between the 2 sites is setup correctly and has got all the routing setup correctly so there is proper communication between the 2 subnets and all the relevant ports for communications between DCs are not being blocked, then my guess is that it could work, so long as the DNS is setup correctly (which is the real critical thing).

Distance between the 2 sites should not be an issue.

But then I could be completely wrong! Please do correct me if I am.

Comment

The key point to understand here is that the network (from the DCs and clients point of view) is fully routed: aka, if I am at site A I can get to any host (subject to FW rules, but I am generalizing) in site B.

This of course can be achieved by establishing a VPN tunnel between 2 sites and putting the needed routes in place.
            As already mentioned, this can be easily made using RRAS on both ends or (depending on the router vendor and model) using the routers themselves (almost any Cisco can do that).

My first remark was to emphasize that you can not just forward the needed ports on both sides. You need to make your network routable.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
            X