Child domains or additional domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child domains or additional domain

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a child domain and adding an additional domain in an existing domain.

Re: Child domains or additional domain

The domain at the top of the forest (the first one to be created) is called the ROOT domain. A domain in the same forest but not a child of the root domain is an additional domain in the same forest. A domain which "hangs off" either of these two is a Child Domain. See below:

root.forest.com - the root domain.
    rootsbrother.forest.com - additional domain in same forest.
    child.root.forest.com - a child domain of ROOT.
    child.rootsbrother.forest.com - a child domain of ROOTSBROTHER.

Diagram: two triangles at the top, with a line connecting their top points. Left one is slightly lower than the right one. The right hand triangle is ROOT, the left is ROOTSBROTHER. Two triangles underneath the original two, with lines connecting their top points to their parent's bottom point. These are the child domains.

You CANNOT add a domain within a domain - that is a meaningless concept. A domain can be within a forest, but not within another domain.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

you still hadn't answered his question.
      he was asking what are the differences between them both , besides the location in the forest.
      he wants to know (correct me if I am wrong) what are the difference between them - bottom line ?
      why would one chose one instead of the other?
      when should he add an additional domain to the forest or add a child domain?
      what are the pros & cons for choosing one upon the other?
      I am almost sure that is the answer he is looking for, not the hierarchy build of the forest.
      I my self don't really know, so I can't answer that , but I was wondering myself the same.
      Last edited by Akila; 22nd July 2008, 20:50.

Comment

You should only create a child domain when you can strongly justify the need. The most and pretty much only reason to create a child domain is when you have a massive amount of data and you need to partition it to reduce replication cost and latency.

If you're based in Los Angeles and London with 10,000 users at each site, you'd be replicating a lot of traffic, so you'd create two domains. Then you have global catalogs which replicate a small portion of each domain to one another.

It's also helpful to parition security but only to a limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
          You should only create a child domain when you can strongly justify the need. The most and pretty much only reason to create a child domain is when you have a massive amount of data and you need to partition it to reduce replication cost and latency.

If you're based in Los Angeles and London with 10,000 users at each site, you'd be replicating a lot of traffic, so you'd create two domains. Then you have global catalogs which replicate a small portion of each domain to one another.

It's also helpful to parition security but only to a limit.
          with this reason a child domain or additional domain in the forest would give you exactly the same partitioning dividing,
          in both configuration the domain data partition would not replicate outside it's domain.
          Domain data partition would be replicated in a Domain level only regardless if it's a child or not.
          In my opinion I still don't see the difference between them both with this claim.
          I am really interested to know now the difference for choosing either one of the configuration (Child Domain vs. Brother Domain)
          besides DNS delegation,etc.
          Last edited by Akila; 22nd July 2008, 20:45.

Comment

Personally I would only recommend a child domain first for a subordinate organisation (or a resource domain) of the root; and in the circumstances that Meekrobe described. An "additional" domain would be of use when an organisation acquired another but they were remaining separate from a trading point of view. In other words, the BUSINESS drives the design, rather than technology. This is Microsoft best practice I believe.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
              Personally I would only recommend a child domain first for a subordinate organisation (or a resource domain) of the root; and in the circumstances that Meekrobe described. An "additional" domain would be of use when an organisation acquired another but they were remaining separate from a trading point of view. In other words, the BUSINESS drives the design, rather than technology. This is Microsoft best practice I believe.
              I personally think that an additional Domain would give him the same effect based on that claim - I still can't see why a child is preferred, technically speaking.
              Last edited by Akila; 22nd July 2008, 20:57.

Comment

It isn't - TECHNICALLY speaking. You will recall that I said that the design is driven by the BUSINESS, not by technology. Same goes for the design of the sites hierarchy, and the DNS infrastructure, and the structure of each domain. You let the business drive the technology, and you use the technology to its best advantage to give the business what it wants. Never, EVER allow the technology to dictate high-level design.

Tom

Comment

You're talking about another Tree vs Child domain. There is no difference other than breaking the dns namespace.

Comment

Hi,

The AD contains forest, tree domains and its child domain,

Child Domain : Parent domain shares its name space with child domain
                    1) (well I think it depend on case to case) if company ABC acquire XYZ comany and mgmt decided to keep their indentification in that case you can consider for child domain.
                    2) parent domain have rights of Entrprise admin, domain admin, and schema admin.

Additional Domain : Basically for load balancing.

rgds

Comment

Originally posted by frankfun View Post
                      Can someone tell me what the difference is between a child domain and adding an additional domain in an existing domain.
                      New child domain is a private case of additional domain in existing forest. What others are referring to is a "new tree in the forest", which is also "additional domain in existing forest".

Basically there 2 kinds of new domains in the forest:
                      1) new child domain
                      2) new tree

The ONLY difference is the DNS name of the domain. If you have some "largecompany.corp" forest root domain and have some subsidiary that from some reason requires to have domain name that does not have "largecompany.corp" in it's name (like "koko.largecompany.corp"), then you should create a new tree that you can call "koko.corp".

To sum it up:
                      - child domain DNS name will always be a subzone of parent's domain DNS name
                      - new tree DNS name will not include parent's domain DNS name
                      Guy Teverovsky
                      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Additional Domain : Basically for load balancing.
                        Eh??! Please explain. Surely you're referring to "Additional Domain Controller"?

Tom

Comment

Hi,

Yep I am refering to the additional domain controller, In huge network scenario for security and load balancing purpose its recommended to deploy additional domain controller.

We can ditribute the roles.
                          in win2k3 Universal group caching we can enable on ADC and many more.

Rgds

Comment

Yes that's all true - but completely irrelevant to the question, which was about additional or child DOMAINS.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X