RDP connects to wrong machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP connects to wrong machine

Help!! When I try to RDP by name or by IP it connects to a totaly different machine.

Example

I ping PC name bob. Bob returns an IP of 192.168.1.1
    I ping PC name candy. Candy returns an ip of 192.168.1.1

When I RDP into PC bob via PC name, I actually connect to PC candy. WHen I RDP via IP 192.168.1.1 , I connect to PC candy.
    Also, in AD I can manage PC candy, but cant manage PC bob. Says I have no access.

We have several PC's on our network doing this. Can anybody help?

Re: RDP connects to wrong machine

If you go to each machine and check the ip address, what do you get?

I would suspect that your DNS is not updating properly and you have multiple A (host) records for the same PC.

Comment

If you are using Dynamic update, one place you could look would be your DNS. Have you got DNS Aging and Scavenging enabled?
      If not you need to do that because it looks like the old records are still there.

Cheers

Just noticed Wburton now.

Or maybe in your case Same A (host) record for multiple machines.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I went to two of the machines in question. One was actaully turned off and unplugged from the network. Not sure how long it had been off..but could have been for a few weeks. That PC was never removed from AD. One I plugged the PC into the back into the network the RDP problem for those two machines no longer existed.

That make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by kellarm View Post
          I went to two of the machines in question. One was actaully turned off and unplugged from the network. Not sure how long it had been off..but could have been for a few weeks. That PC was never removed from AD. One I plugged the PC into the back into the network the RDP problem for those two machines no longer existed.

That make sense?
          Yes it does, It looks like you are using DHCP and DNS dynamic updates there.
          Basically, when you reconnected the machine back to your network, it contacted the DHCP server and leased a new IP address. Then the DHCP server updated the DNS record with the new details.
          Have a look at the following for more info:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932464

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

1) Scavenging and aging does not apply on manually created A records.
            2) DDNS would not replace the old record automatically if his DNS is set to "Secure Updates Only" , due to SID differences of the original record,etc.

just delete those duplicate recorders and they would re register with their IP (make sure that the "register this connection's addresses in DNS" is checked/marked in the client's TCP/IP settings under Advance -> DNS.
            Last edited by Akila; 19th July 2008, 19:20.

Comment

Working...
            X