All Program GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Program GPO

hey ppl, I need to setup a lab where I work so when users click the 'All Programs' to select their program of choice they will only see what I allow them to see/access. I checked the gpo editor but did not come across anything related to that. Could this be done thru a script? Any help on this is appreciated.
    knowledge is power

Re: All Program GPO

You could setup a mandatory profile and remove the entries from the default user (used when creating new account locally) and all users folders (used continuously for every user) this way you could control what is in there.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

One way of doing it through GPO would be to redirect the Startup folder.
      You can find the option on :
      User Config | Windows Settings | Folder Redirection | Startup folder.

You can chose between Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location or
      Advanced - Specify locations for various groups.
      whichever way you do it you then can decide what to leave on the Programs folder and what permissions will the users have.

Cheers
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        One way of doing it through GPO would be to redirect the Startup folder.
        You can find the option on :
        User Config | Windows Settings | Folder Redirection | Startup folder.

You can chose between Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location or
        Advanced - Specify locations for various groups.
        whichever way you do it you then can decide what to leave on the Programs folder and what permissions will the users have.

Cheers
        this will probably work. question though, will the shortcuts be linked to the server I'm redirecting it to? or from the user's workstation?
        knowledge is power

Comment

Originally posted by techie211 View Post
          this will probably work. question though, will the shortcuts be linked to the server I'm redirecting it to? or from the user's workstation?
          The Startups folder (Including the Programs fldr)will be stored on the server and if the GPO has been applied to the user logged on, their startup folder should be the one on the server. Or the ones on the server if you use the setting: Advanced - Specify locations for various groups.

Best thing to do is to give it a go, you learn more details by having a "trial and error" aproach. (This advice only applies to a Lab and not a Live environment by the way)

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by techie211 View Post
            good question, test it on one PC and see, that way you would know for sure.

Comment

thanks for the replys fellas. what I did was from the workstation, create shortcuts for the apps needed on the workstation to the server's startup folder for just that lab and everything is working ok. thanks to you guys for helping me
              knowledge is power

Comment

Working...
              X