Creating trusts between 2000 and 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating trusts between 2000 and 2008

as the title states...has anyone sucessfully created one, and if you could give a step by step correct way of doing so would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Creating trusts between 2000 and 2008

I haven't but why would there be an issue? Did you try?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well, I think I remember someone saying that a trust needs to be set a certain way or order?

Lets say Domain1(windows 2000) and Domain2(windows 200

Both have a sections "Domains trusted by this domain" and "Domains that trust this domain"

I would just go into domain1 and add domain2 to both sections "Domains trusted by this domain" and "Domains that trust this domain"

and then go to domain2 and add domain 1 to both sections "Domains trusted by this domain" and "Domains that trust this domain"

this will work?

Comment

I have just finish a Server Implementation for a company with 2 domains, they have now 1 brand new WS DC, 1 upgraded , and still 2 member servers and one dc ws2k domain member which we cannot touch in both sites ( customer request) we had no major issues , both way incoming & outgoing trusts are working fine!

off topic but the only issue we had was Blackberry ES which did not run with 08 even if its stating it is ...

(2 separte domains )
        Last edited by cemarzu; 10th July 2008, 07:48.

Comment

Originally posted by cemarzu View Post
          I have just finish a Server Implementation for a company, they have now 1 brand new WS DC, 1 upgraded , and still 2 member servers and one dc ws2k domain member which we cannot touch ( customer request) we had no major issues

off topic but the only issue we had was Blackberry ES which did not run with 08 even if its stating it is ...
          When I tried to setup the trust on either side, I got a RPC problem. I checked the firewall and it's fine.

Comment

I have just finish a Server Implementation for a company, they have now 1 brand new WS DC, 1 upgraded , and still 2 member servers and one dc ws2k domain member which we cannot touch ( customer request) we had no major issues

cemarzu, what does this have to do with TRUSTS???? Unless you're talking about separate domains, and if you are, it's very not obvious from your post.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by locc View Post
              When I tried to setup the trust on either side, I got a RPC problem. I checked the firewall and it's fine.
              RPC errors can be caused because of several reasons. Again I ask, where did you read that there are any issues with Win2008-Win2000 trusts?

BTW, the procedure you described in your previous post makes things complicated. Go to one part of the trust, add the other side on both TRUSTS and TRUSTED, then do the same on the other side. Naturally, you can verify the trust by using NETDOM or the UI of AD Domains and Trusts, and for that you must have the admin password of the remote domain as well.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks Daniel, I will give that a try. I haven't read anywhere that there was problems, I just wanted to get confirmation and pointers here to avoid extra hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                  cemarzu, what does this have to do with TRUSTS???? Unless you're talking about separate domains, and if you are, it's very not obvious from your post.
                  updated, cheers

Comment

Daniel, I tried and I get an RPC error, I did some research and it was something about vmware, but I am sure I don't have that installed.

Comment

make sure DNS on both servers resolves the other server correctly. I have only ever seen RPC errors when creating trust's happen when there were DNS problems.
                      Stacey Smith
                      Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Comment

Daniel, I tried and I get an RPC error, I did some research and it was something about vmware, but I am sure I don't have that installed.
                        I do not think its from VMWare ( i do have also VSX servre instaled in )
                        regarding the RPC error:
                        did you try to run Netdiag /debug to be able to find more info?
                        I believe your errors are more related to W2K and if I were you I would more concentrate on this side to find the problem

Comment

Locc, I'm sorry but hell, that was one of the worst diagnostics I've ever heard. Do your homework man, we can't read ye'r mind can we?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I do not think its from VMWare ( i do have also VSX servre instaled in )
                            regarding the RPC error:
                            did you try to run Netdiag /debug to be able to find more info?
                            I believe your errors are more related to W2K and if I were you I would more concentrate on this side to find the problem

Thanks. for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                              Locc, I'm sorry but hell, that was one of the worst diagnostics I've ever heard. Do your homework man, we can't read ye'r mind can we?

Okay, since I was not getting anywhere on establishing the trust. I decided to see if the ADMT 3.1 would work any better. I was on my way of migrating a test account. It looks like the 2008 domain can't even get a list of domain controllers for the 2000 domain, and vice versa for the 2000 domain.

So I am on the 2008 server, I ping domain08.local and all is good. I try to ping domain00.local, and it couldn't find anything.

I can ping the IP adress and BIOS names of each PC from each domain and it works.

I go on the 2000 server and run netdiag and everything passed.

I am not running any types of firewall on either server. So running ADMT 3.1 on server 2008 is not going to work if either server can't see the other domain.

Comment

Working...
                              X