Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS it possible to restoring AD with the help of 1.5 Months old System stat only?? Plz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS it possible to restoring AD with the help of 1.5 Months old System stat only?? Plz

HI, Around 1.5 months back, I have asked by my IT head to remove AD & install LDAP server (LINUX) to avoid any Microsoft's CAL license issue we had.I did so & format the DC server (But after taking the backup of System stat only)

Now when we bought Microsoft's CALs, again I have been asked by our IT head that we have to restore old AD again with all users information we had previously. I am having the last system stat backup of my DC and its a size of around 500 MB with almost 400 users information. I have not taken the full backup of my last DC, one more problem i have, that I have to restore the AD on some other h/w machine, which seems to me very difficult.

I have gone through the internet searching but didn't find any useful information. Anyone had same kind of experience...plz let me know. It would be great help to me...

Waiting for any positive response.
    Regards
    Sunny

Re: IS it possible to restoring AD with the help of 1.5 Months old System stat only??

First: Sorry about sounding rude but formatting a DC with users on it and switching to LDAP on the same box is not the smartest thing I've heard

Now the good news is: install Windows (same version and sp level as your DC had) . Once it's installed and clean, restore your system state backup on it. There might be a few minor things you need to fix manually after (make sure your DHCP directs client's DNS on the right server etc) but it's easily doable.
    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Re: IS it possible to restoring AD with the help of 1.5 Months old System stat only??

Restoring a DC on a different hardware requires a full System Volume restore as well.
      but you may want to try your luck and System state might be enough.
      here , use this TID.
      "How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of Active Directory on a computer with a different hardware configuration"
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263532/en-us
      by the TID you need a full backup of the drive that contains the system volume as well,
      since you don't have it , then just skip that section and try using only System State - good luck.
      Let us know how it went.
      Last edited by Akila; 7th July 2008, 21:59.

Comment

You need to move FAST. I know that earlier versions of Windows Server 2003, the System State was only valid for 90 days. It may have extended in later service packs but I'm not certain. WHY did you not take a full backup??!

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          You need to move FAST. I know that earlier versions of Windows Server 2003, the System State was only valid for 90 days. It may have extended in later service packs but I'm not certain. WHY did you not take a full backup??!
          I think the biggest question is why would you switch your directory from AD to LDAP to AD in a month and a half

Great article by the way, this should do the trick.

On my end I've done this a few times without issue (testing environment though, so maybe my machines were often very similar)..

Even if backup was too old he could probably restore it on a system with a fake date and then roll it forward (considering he only has one domain controller in that domain/forest)..
          VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

To my recollection restoring an old System state has no impact on him since it was only one domain controller in one domain.
            the problem is when he wants to restore a old DC on a 2 DCs environment , then the SysState age has an Impact due to Lingering Objects.
            BTW - the Tomb stone life time on a Win2000/2003-PreSP1 is 60 days by default, Win2003 w/SP1 it is 180 days by default. Please note that upgrading the AD to win2003 SP1 from previous AD versions still keeps the default Tomb Stone life time at 60 days, only a fresh 2003 w/sp1 DC Installation in a fresh 2003 w/sp1 domain would have a 180 days Tomb Stone life time by default.
            Last edited by Akila; 8th July 2008, 10:05.

Comment

A System State older than the tombstone life will not restore in my experience. The operation simply fails - regardless of the number of DCs.

But you're right - 180 days it is... so hopefully the OP will have no issues.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

You can restore if you adjust the clock.

Comment

Working...
                X