Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up DNS on pre-existing AD

Hello,

The previous IT guy setup AD without DNS, for what ever reason ..... Well now i want to implement AD with the configuration that AD has. My question is Am i going to have to Remove AD then install DNS.. Or can I Install DNS with out re-installing AD...

Thanks In Advance...
    Chris

Re: Setting Up DNS on pre-existing AD

Active Directory cannot exist without DNS so could you be more specific about your setup.

Comment

I didnt set it up... So i dont know what he did...... But AD is on the server and DNS is not.. I dont know if he installed DNS and then AD... Then remove DNS because he didnt want to setup AD.....
      Last edited by Jeepman; 2nd July 2008, 19:10. Reason: ADDING

Comment

Again, AD cannot exist without DNS so DNS has to be installed somewhere, if not on the DC. There's no requirement that the AD DNS be on a Windows Server or on a DC for that matter, the only requirement for the DNS server is that it support SRV records. You therefore have a couple of options:

1. Leave DNS where it's at. You should be able to determine where it's at by looking at the DNS settings in the TCP/IP settings of the NIC properties on any client machine.

2. Set up your DC as a secondary DNS server to the current DNS server.

3. Migrate the current DNS zones to your DC.

Comment

What IP addresses do you have as primary DNS for the clients and server(s)?
          Check these machines to see if there is a DNS Server service running.

I guess you can actually uninstall DNS after AD has been setup but you may as well not bother in the first place.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
          X