Multiple domains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple domains

We have windows server 2003 r2 sp2 in our domain. our current ad is called madeup-ny.com. that is our main domain name. we want to add another domain called madeupclients-ny.com.

I have 2 questions... can i add another sub domain to my existing domain?
    if so, do i need another domain controller?

Thanks in advance for all who respond

Re: Multiple domains

It is possible adding a child domain to the root domain in your forest
    which you are having now.
    you will be needing another domain controller to hold the Active Directory data for the new child domain you are about to assemble.

Comment

thanks

but will that domain be automatically trusted or will i have to create that trust?
      What about for my DR site? will i also need another DC?

We also have remote offices that sync with the main office via AD and are used as local login and print servers... Will they be affected in anyway?

Comment

could you please tell me exactly what are you trying to achieve, if we'll see the Big picture we would be much helpful, don't you think so.?

Comment

OK we are pushing out Sharepont 2003.. We want to have our clients authenticate to seperate domain rather than the corporate domain. I know a trust of some sort has to be esablished but i am worried about security since it is going to be accesable from the outside world. I mean i will make it an SSL site with a certificate but i have to trust it to the corporate side to get to my DBs..

What AD layout would work the best in my situation?
          Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

as far as our remote sites and Dr site. i have to plan that if our main office goes down clients still need to get authenitcated.... the remote offices are also w2k3 R2 sp2. they only sync with AD for local logon and print access.

My question here is will the new Domain also exist in their AD structures/sites?
          I know For DR. "yes" and it will have to be a seperate machine.

We also have other servers such as SQL and exchange... exchange 2003 is on w2k3 sp2 and sql is on 2k.. will that be effected if i raise the AD functional levels even thought they are not domain controllers?

Comment

Originally posted by mlabs View Post
            What AD layout would work the best in my situation?
            Any recommendations would be appreciated.
            We have very similar situation as you do and we are personally using a totally different Forest/Domain with trust between them both to achieve our goals, I can't say that this is the best suited for your guys, but a different forest I think might be a bit more secured.

as far as our remote sites and Dr site. i have to plan that if our main office goes down clients still need to get authenticated.... the remote offices are also w2k3 R2 sp2. they only sync with AD for local logon and print access.
            Logon could take place on any DC (preferred a GC & DNS aswell for more sufficient DR) , hence just make sure you got a DC on every site.
            BTW - Sites are not domain depended , they could be configured involving few domains per site (same forest), site is a Configuration settings of your network layout in a way.

My question here is will the new Domain also exist in their AD structures/sites?
            I know For DR. "yes" and it will have to be a separate machine.
            if i am reading you right , then the answer is no if you go for a different forest, although you may have few sites per forest or few DC's for DR and all the transactions between them would be depended on network and trust.
            if you chose to go for another domain in your existing forest, then the answer is partially yes, only your Schema and you Directory configuration partition (e.g Sites,Site-links,etc) would be shared, but the Domain Data is individual per domain (e.g users/groups/passwords,etc).

We also have other servers such as SQL and exchange... exchange 2003 is on w2k3 sp2 and sql is on 2k.. will that be effected if i raise the AD functional levels even thought they are not domain controllers?
            as far as I can see it , then No problem with that, but I would ask for a second opinion.
            Last edited by Akila; 17th June 2008, 21:37.

Comment

Thanks for the help...

My structure is a hub and spoke so main office is NYC and 3 other locales sharing a vpn connection the each locale mostly for file access and AD communications and email.

even still the new domain will not have to communicate with the other 2 remote sites, just my DR site and my sharepoint servers.

Comment

Working...
              X