X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA issues after DC crash

Hi,

We have two Domain controllers
    DC1 , DC2... exchange server on diff box...

over night DC1 died ( whatever is the reason)

Under cicumstances we did built new DC

now the problem is 50% of the users unable to send / receive emails thru outlook web access.

urgent help needed to solve the problem

Thanks inadvance
    Vorugan
    Last edited by vorugan72; 12th June 2008, 19:47.

Re: Help needed

OK, can you clarify your problem because outlook web access and web mail are the same thing.

Comment

Next time can you also please use a decent thread title. Reported to admins for changing

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        OK, can you clarify your problem because outlook web access and web mail are the same thing.
        have you removed the remaining of the OLD DC from the Directory data base using ntdsutil?
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/en-us

had you had any FSMO roles on the crashed DC you had not Transfered to either one of the working Domain controllers?
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504/en-us
        Last edited by Akila; 12th June 2008, 20:32.

Comment

Re: OWA issues after DC crash

I am very very sorry....
          i did change it just now...
          he is right i mentioned like that before...

i did used NTDS Util... cleared the entries

next thing... i didn't transfer any roles... we planned for the transfer... did set up test environment etc...i was planning to do transfer today ...
          unfortunately yesterday night this thing happen...

that 50% of the users who are unable to send / receive mails ... even unable to ping new DC...

Thanks
          Last edited by vorugan72; 12th June 2008, 20:32.

Comment

I guess I read it after your correction then.

then you are going to have to seize whatever roles
            the faulty DC holed.
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504/en-us
            I would personally try and restore the Old DC, then transfer them normally rather then seize the roles.
            but if it is not possible then the seize is your only option I guess.

I am not sure this is the cause of your problem, but it is something you anyway need to be doing, so you may as well start doing it.
            Last edited by Akila; 12th June 2008, 20:35.

Comment

Restoring a DC after it's metadata was cleaned up is not a good idea.
              Seizing the roles in a small environment is not that much of an issue. Make sure the replication is working and seize all the roles.

My guess, based on the "even unable to ping new DC..." is that one of the following has happened:

1) The clients have static DNS settings and are pointing to the old DC
              2) The server that crashed was also DHCP server and the clients still have a lease from old server with wrong DNS entries.

Did you update your DHCP server scopes to include the correct IP of your new DNS server?
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
                Restoring a DC after it's metadata was cleaned up is not a good idea.
                that is true, forgot he cleaned up the Active Directory Data for that DC.

Comment

Working...
                X