No announcement yet.

DNS question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS question

I have a windows 2003 server that is setup as the AD server for our domain. Currently, we have another machine on the network that is running tinydns and resolving local machines.

Our internal domain name ( is registered and has an external name server setup, but is not accessible by the outside world.

I want to have AD handle dns for our local network and decomission the box running tinydns. I want it to resolve our local hostnames, but forward any non-local addresses (ie, to get forwarded to our ISP's servers for resolution.

Any pointers on where to start on this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: DNS question

in DNS management console right click your server name and choose properties.
    click the forwarders tab add you ISP's DNS into that tab and your basically done as far as internal external, anything not found locally will be forwarded to your ISP.

Of course there are a lot of other settings that can / should be tweaked like recursion and scavenging to name a few.
    Stacey Smith
    Sr. Systems Engineer

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane --Samuel Clemens

Re: DNS question

here is something else you may want to take a look at,

DNS Step-by-Step Guide (Single domain AD):
      Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog -