how to resolve IP from internal/external DNS for one site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to resolve IP from internal/external DNS for one site

We have one domain name abc.com and we two servers running as domain controller with DNS.
    Computer name is :bc00111 and the DNS will be bc00111.abc.com
    If guy in bc00111 open internet explorer and type www.noway.com, it will ask an external DNS to resolve the IP”212.222.333.444”, but what if I want the bc00111 to resolve different IP and this IP will come from internal DNS “abc.com” not from external DNS.

Example;
    www.noway.com = 222.333.444.555 in external DNA = ISP
    www.noway.com = 10.20.30.40 in internal DNS = abc.com

this will conclude the following, if the guy at work then I want him to resolve the IP for www.noway.com from the internal DNS of abc.com and when he access www.noway.com from outside work an external DNS to resolve the IP for him.
    Last edited by noway; 10th June 2008, 12:44.

Re: how to resolve IP from internal/external DNS for one site

you would need to add an A record to your internal DNS server for host www and point it the IP that you want to resolve internally. The only thing you need to watch out for on this is laptops because of dns caching.
    Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Let made this simpler,

Our employee access xyz.com/report to generate some report for the company but each time they access it take a long time because of the speed of the internet. What we did in IT is, we came up with a solution to have a direct link between us and xyz.com Company to avoid going to internet and put a firewall between us.

Now, xyz.com has an external IP which is 222.333.444.555 but while we have a direct link we need access the internal IP which is 10.20.30.40, the problem is each time the explorer go and resolve the external IP and I want explorer to resolve the IP from our internal DNS.

Comment

doing what I mentioned previously will do this.

Comment

is it not something you need to configure on the Proxy Server that serves the desktops in your company to redirect the xyz.com to an internal address?
          I don't think a DNS record would help out here since "xyz.com" is not part of his Domain/DNS Zone.
          e.g his domain/dns zone is 123.net, a record of xyz.com in 123.net would do no good since the suffix is different, it would come out like this in the end "xyz.com.123.net" , at least that is what I know, correct me if I am wrong.
          i think the only way to do it is far as a dns goes is to open a new forward zone "xyz.com" in his dns and placing the IP there , I guess, not sure about that either.
          Last edited by Akila; 11th June 2008, 17:44.

Comment

i must have misunderstood what he was saying i though he said that their website was at www.abc.com and that their AD domain is also abc.com because if this was the case then they would just need to what i mentioned above. one thing they could do is add the zone to their dns server and add the www A record to it and accomplish the same. Or they could use a host file

(This is assuming they do not have a proxy)
            Last edited by wiredteknologies; 11th June 2008, 19:02.

Comment

Working...
            X