Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade 2000 to 2003

Hi folks

We have two DC's both Windows 2000. We want to go to Windows 2003. We dont want to do an upgrade. I'd prefer a fresh install but i dont want to have to redo all the AD info and Exchange for 1000 users.

So i've come up with this:

DC1 - Was the first DC of the domain. Move all its roles and DNS to DC2. Demote. Format. Install Windows 2003. Promote. Move roles back.

DC2 - Once DC1 has got all the roles back, do the same. Format. Install Windows 2003. Promote.

My question is... will this work? Or is there a better way?

Thanks
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

By far the easiest way is the in-place upgrade... but you don't want that. OK.

> My question is... will this work

Not quite. You don't mention it, but both DC's should be GC.

Also, you need the W2003 AD schema extension. You need to run that before you dcpromo the new W2003 server.

Last but not least, all domain members should have both DNS servers in their TCP/IP settings. You'd be surprised how many people forget that.

Comment

Ok yep both servers are GC's. Say we ensure all other clients and servers have DC1 and DC2 as DNS servers. And we do the Windows 2003 AD schema extension (btw... how is that done!!?)

will it work?
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, it should work.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X