Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready to update PDC/AD server to 2003 but worried about exchange...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to update PDC/AD server to 2003 but worried about exchange...

Hello,

First, this is my first post here and I have read a lot of useful information on here and think I am ready to tackle the chore of replacing my domain controller which is running 2K with a new machine running 2003 I bought about a year ago. I had an employee working for me who has done a great job for the last 6 years but when it came time to upgrade from 2000 to 2003, he kind of fail short I guess from what I am seeing. He said it was a major undertaking but it does not look like such a big deal to me.

Anyway, he is no longer with our company for other reasons so I am really trying to move forward with getting our domain controller moved onto the new machine. The old one is working fine and only acts at the domain controller, DHCP server and is one of 2 internal DNS servers we have.

My question is, I have two other servers in place that I feel may cause some problems here. Just thinking to myself really before I do something that causes problems. The first is our exchange server. It also is acts as a DNS server too.

It's running on 2003 with Exchange 2003 and all accounts created on the 2000 system are replicated to it (somehow). It is not a Active Directory machine so I need to make sure if I put the new active directory computer which will be on 2003 online and take the one on 2000 off line, the accounts will still work for e-mail. I am moving my e-mail accounts to a hosted exchange solution as we speak but still have about 75 users that are on our exchange server.

Second server is our VPN server. We have about 15 users that use VPN and we have a separate server that they login to using their account for verification. This server is also not a Active directory machine but I add an account to the 2000 machine, it seems to work for the users.

My guess is that there are some pointers on both of these machines that point to the current PDC to check for login info and verify it? Maybe I am wrong and it all works because it's all in the same "domain"? Can I just add the new 2003 server as another DC and then take the 2000 machine offline and the exchange and vpn server will know there is a new server that does the logins?

As you can tell, I am really not qualified for this but I have built this entire network we have by trial an error and it has worked for us for the last 10 years because I do my homework first.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Chris
    Last edited by southbound; 3rd June 2008, 06:33.

Re: Ready to update PDC/AD server to 2003 but worried about exchange...

Hi,

Are you doing inplace upgrade from win2k to win2k3 or on other box?
    Are you going to create new forest... migrating users and mailboxes to new servers??/

Pleae go throgh the link which will give you clear idea about steps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555040
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379

Regards

Comment

as far as I can see there would be no problems with the Upgrade.
      just install the 2003 on a new box and go through the 2003 AD Upgrade procedure.
      once you got a 2003 domain controller there is no problem removing the 2000 server DC.

Comment

Originally posted by muneer_bom3 View Post
        Hi,

Are you doing inplace upgrade from win2k to win2k3 or on other box?
        Are you going to create new forest... migrating users and mailboxes to new servers??/

Pleae go throgh the link which will give you clear idea about steps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555040
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379

Regards
        The windows 2000 machine will remain online while the 2003 machine is added. Once everything is working well, the 2000 machine will be taken offline and maybe updated and user as a second DC.

No, keeping everything the same. I just need to get the new 2003 machine to take the place of the 2000 machine. Our e-mail server is a separate machine and so is our VPN server.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
          as far as I can see there would be no problems with the Upgrade.
          just install the 2003 on a new box and go through the 2003 AD Upgrade procedure.
          once you got a 2003 domain controller there is no problem removing the 2000 server DC.
          Thanks! My main concern is will my exchange server and VPN server pick up that there is a different domain controller? Seems like it would but I just want to be 100% sure before I make a big mistake...

Chris

Comment

the exchange has auto domain controller discovery mechanism
            there for it shouldn't be a problem , unless you configured the exchange connection to the AD manually (which is not recommended).
            Last edited by Akila; 4th June 2008, 20:17.

Comment

Thanks again for the replies! I put the 2003 disk in the 2000 PDC, ran adprep.exe and it ran fine. I went to the new 2003 machine, ran dcpromo.exe and typed in everything and it copied everything over to the 2003 machine. I made a chance on the 2000 machine and it replicated over to the 2003 machine as well. Seems like everything is good so far!?

I need to do some more research because we run a program from Script Logic called Desktop Authority which basically builds a login script for the users and maps drives, printers and does some other things as well. Once I make sure this is all done, what is the next step to taking the 2000 machine offine so it can be upgraded and act as a second DC?

Thanks!

Chris

Comment

very simple,
                I don't see why your scripts/printers/drive mapping, would be effected by the Upgrade, there is no really much difference in the way that an 2000 AD works verses 2003 AD on that area, but maybe you want to pop a question to ScriptLogic support just in case...
                demote your 2000 DC (dcpromo) after transferring any FSMO rules that resides on it.
                then Install a new 2003 OS on the box and promote it to a DC joind your domain.
                once you have got that covered and there are no more 2000 DC's you may raise the domain/forest functionality level to 2003, by doing so you enable features that were not available on 2000 FL AD.
                but once you raise it to 2003 FL you will no longer be able adding a Win2000 Domain controllers on to your domain (which in my opinion you shouldn't anyway you just getting rid of one), make sure that there are no other services running on the 2000 machine ,e.g. WINS,DHCP,"Your only DNS Server",etc.

Just to play it on the safe side , how about turning off the 2000 DC after transferring the FSMO rules onto the new 2003 DC for a day or two and see how your systems behaving without their 2000 DC?
                don't keep it offline to long (no more then a week I would say).
                Just make sure before you do so that there are no other vital Services running on the 2000 DC, e.g. DHCP,WINS,"Your Only DNS Server",etc.
                Last edited by Akila; 4th June 2008, 20:27.

Comment

Working...
                X