Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profile update issue

Hi,

We moved from a 2003SBS to a Standard 2003 a few month ago. We have 2 users with roaming profile, all other having laptop with local profile.

Those 2 users can't delete anything from theyr profile. When they logg off, they get a message saying the profile can't be update.
    In the Application log there are 2 event :
    - 1509 (can't copy ntuser.dat from local to server, detail : access denied)
    - 1504(can't update roaming profile, detail : access denied)

Only deleting is a problem, adding new files is OK. Moving files is NOK, copying is OK.

Files permission on the server has been checked and user have full control and are owner of the folder.

profile path is \\server\users_profils$\user

I tried the following :
    renaming the profile on the server while the user is offline and creating a new folder for the user.
    Log in as admin on the PC and copying the local profile to the new folder created on the server (with the profile manager, not manualy). The copy failed the first time, then succeed.
    user log on
    deleting a file on the desktop
    user log off -> same problem, profile not updated on the server.

What i don't understand is that in the properties windows of the user profile folder on the server, the "read only" check box is ticked grey out, meaning some file or folder are read only, but i can't find them!

Thanks for any help

Nico

Re: Roaming profile update issue

When roamiong profiles are set, you not need to copy the profile to the network share manually. This is done automated.

When a user log on who has a roaming profile, windows checkes the share for his profile. If no profile exists, it will check if a local profile exists. If no local profile exists, windows will create a new profile, and uses the default user as template.
    When the user logs off, the newly created profile is copied to the networkshare with the appriopiate permissions.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi,

Please login as the roaming profile user and access your roaming profile share
      ex : \\servername\sharename
      and try to create a file in that folder, so we can find out any permission issues.
      Regards,
      Venkatesan S

Comment

@venkatesan : creating new file/folder is ok, the problem is that user can't DELETE any file/folder in theyr profile.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbe View Post
          When roamiong profiles are set, you not need to copy the profile to the network share manually. This is done automated.

When a user log on who has a roaming profile, windows checkes the share for his profile. If no profile exists, it will check if a local profile exists. If no local profile exists, windows will create a new profile, and uses the default user as template.
          When the user logs off, the newly created profile is copied to the networkshare with the appriopiate permissions.
          I tried that but keeping the existing local profile and it doesn't copy the profile on the server, the system only use the local profile if no profile is detected on the server.

Comment

Probably irrelevant so apologies in advance.. but you have checked share and NTFS permissions?
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              Probably irrelevant so apologies in advance.. but you have checked share and NTFS permissions?
              Yes I did, for info, here it is:
              on the users_profils$ share :
              - share level :
              - domains admin : full control
              - everybody : read
              - ntfs level :
              - everybody : read and execute
              - owner : full control
              - system : full control
              - Users (domain/users) : full control (had less privilege before, but increase today for test purpose)
              - Domain admins : Full control
              on the user's profile folder :
              - no share
              - ntfs level :
              - domain admins : full control
              - che (the user) : full control

Regards, any help is welcome has there is for sure a litle thing missing or wrongly configure...

Comment

Originally posted by nda View Post
                Yes I did, for info, here it is:
                on the users_profils$ share :
                - share level :
                - domains admin : full control
                - everybody : read
                Is that it for the share permissions? Are all users domain admins? If so how can you create a file on the share as a normal profile user?
                Server 2000 MCP
                Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
                  Is that it for the share permissions? Are all users domain admins? If so how can you create a file on the share as a normal profile user?
                  Indeed i works well if i add read/write permissions for domain users

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nda View Post
                    Indeed i works well if i add read/write permissions for domain users

Thanks
                    So do you still have your initial problem of users not being able to update their roaming profiles on the server?
                    Server 2000 MCP
                    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X