Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Mixed mode Rename Domain issue

Hi. all,

I just did "rename domain" procedure for windows 2000 mixed mode as written in
    http://www.petri.com/w2k_domain_rename.htm

Now the status, I have already turn off our temporary windows 2000 DC and Promote the NT BDC to PDC.

Before Upgrade to Windows 2003 for Renaming Domain procedure, I tried to Log on some PC to NT PDC but I couldn't logon to NT PDC
    The error message is "The system cannot log you on to this domain, because the system's computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect"

Do you have any clue to solve this problem??

Regards

Re: Windows 2000 Mixed mode Rename Domain issue

Just get rid of the NT4 and migrate to 2003, then go to 2003 native mode, it supports domain renames out of the box.
    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

thank you for your advice...
      By the way I have any concern about the client, we have almost 500 client connected in the domain..

How about all client connected to this domain?
      After migrate to W2K3, do our client computer can log on to the domain?

If we need to change the configuration one by one, we prefer to install new domain from the scratch and join the computer one by one, of course we will use ADMT to transfer account to the new domain

Currently, we have done as listed in the tutorial as below...
      1. Make Temporary W2k DC to handle the role
      2. Downgrade All remaining DC to member server
      3. Join NT BDC to temporary W2k DC
      4. Syncronize NT BDC with temporary W2k DC (successful)

5. Turn of Temporary W2K DC
      6. Promote NT BDC to NT PDC
      When do some test log on from W2k client, I got the error message as i said in my previous posting

I found also from microsoft website that w2k client can't logon to the NT domain after we demote the last w2k DC. ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263108)

Please advice

Comment

I would not even bother with all this hassle.
        I would install a clean win2003 Domain and use ADMT migrating them all to the 2003 new domain.

if the situation was that you want to update your win2000 domain to win2003 domain , then I would go for an upgrade.

Comment

What was your initial setup before you did the domain rename ?
          Do you have Exchange ?
          What are the exact steps you have performed ?
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Hi All..

I don't use exchange server

I have follow the procedure As instructed in http://www.petri.com/w2k_domain_rename.htm

I have 5 W2K Domain Controller in the same domain.
            1. First I make 1 temporary W2K DC and transfer all role (fsm etc) to this temporary server
            2. Demote all DC to member server (only 1 temporary W2K DC remain)
            3. Create NT BDC for that domain and synchronize with DC
            4. Turn Off temporary DC and promote NT BDC to PDC
            5. TEST whether client can connect to NT PDC or not, for this point client can't connect to NT PDC, FYI We use windows 2000 and XP for all client
            the error message is "The system cannot log you on to this domain, because the system's computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect"

If I shut down the NT PDC and Turn ON our Temporary W2K DC, Client can connect to domain again

Actually if I refer to the Petri's procedure for Remaining W2k Mixed Mode DOmain, there is only one step remaining that should be done (UPGRADE NT PDC to WINDOWS 2003 and join to new forest )

But I am afraid about the client.

By the way 3 years ago I Upgraded Windows NT Server to W2K and join them to existing forest successfully without any changed in client

Any advice??

Regards,

Comment

I have already follow the procedure as listed on http://www.petri.com/w2k_domain_rename.htm

But after upgrade NT to Windows 2003 server, no client can connect to the new domain
              The message is "The system cannot log you on to this domain, because the system's computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect"

So I think The "Rename Domain procedure for Windows 2000 mixed mode" can't be applied

regards

Comment

Working...
              X