Promote Win2003R2 in a Win2000 domain question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promote Win2003R2 in a Win2000 domain question

I have 2 Win2000 server domain controllers (DC1 and DC2)
    I have setup a member server 2003R2 and I wanted to promote it to be a domain controller (DC3)

I did adprep /foresetprep and adprep /domainprep at DC1 after I seized all 5 roles (DC1 has all 5 roles) and the adprep reported no errors.

I did a dcpromo command at DC3 and I get this error:

"The operation failed because: The AD installation wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Windows Serevr2003. Use Asprep command-line tool to prepare both the forest and the domain. The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory in this computer."

What should I do? ....maybe it's because this is R2 version.... The goal is to update the domain to win2003 and get rid of the win2000 servers (cannot do an upgrade directly on DC1 and DC2 for various reasons)

Thank you very much,
    Dan

Re: Promote Win2003R2 in a Win2000 domain question

Why did you have to seize all 5 roles?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

maybe no necesarily all 5 but at least infrastructure master and schema...I had one on DC1 and the other on DC2 and adprep did not want to run...so I have to mive them first

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        Why did you have to seize all 5 roles?
        Yeah , I was about to ask the same question , maybe he meant Transferred the roles not actually seizing them.

any way you need to be a member of Enterprise Admins and Schema Admins for the prep, were you?

Comment

Did you run adprep from first or second CD ?
          Are the existing DCs replicating?
          Did you wait till both DCs are in sync after running adprep? (on W2K schema changes result in full GC sync, which might take a while depending on the size of your forest)
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
          X