Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can DNS be accessed from outside the domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can DNS be accessed from outside the domain?

I have a server called TEN-SRVLN which is a DC in a remote site. Also in this site is a Novell Netware 4 server with its own network. This network has a Win2K server, called TEN-BE01, which runs Backup Exec for Windows, backing up the Novell server.

The two networks are linked by routers which I have tested by pinging each other by IP, from their own networks. I can also RDP to both Windows servers from my HO workstation.

TEN-BE01 has its DNS set to TEN-SRVLN, but I can not ping anything by DNS from here. I'm thinking that because TEN-BE01 is outside the domain controlled by TEN-SRVLN, then DNS will not be allowed to it.

What are my options in order to get DNS flowing b/w TEN-SRVLN, which is running a DNS server, and TEN-BE01?

Should I setup a DNS server on TEN-BE01 or add it to the domain and if the latter, will it lose it's connection to the Novell server?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Can DNS be accessed from outside the domain?

very simple.
    on TEN-BE01 go to the TCP/IP setting -> IP -> DNS -> "Append these DNS Suffix (in order)" and add the DNS zone of your AD/Forest that is configured (e.g. mydom.com).
    if this doesn't work try adding the zone name in the "DNS Suffix for this connection"

BTW - try and ping the machine from TEN-BE01 using a FQDN (e.g computer1.mydom.com).
    Last edited by Akila; 19th May 2008, 07:45.

Comment

Re: Can DNS be accessed from outside the domain?

Thanks Akila, adding the AD domain name to the "Append these DNS Suffix (in order)" option worked.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

Working...
      X