Having Sporatic Logon Problems with 2 Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Sporatic Logon Problems with 2 Users

Hello All...This is my first post so thank you all for reading this!

I have two users who frequently have to re-enter their password when trying to access a network resource such as file shares and the exchange server. I am filtering the event logs for failed logon attempts and these two people keep comming up as having a mulitiude of failed logons. I am at a loss as to that to do...for the record, one of the two is my boss and the other one is my wife..please help, I'm desperate!!!

Re: Having Sporatic Logon Problems with 2 Users

Have you tried recreating their accounts?
    Does it happen only from their computer or from any computer they use?

Comment

Originally posted by jfain View Post
      Have you tried recreating their accounts?
      Does it happen only from their computer or from any computer they use?
      I have created different accounts for these users and they seem to be fine, I am just not sure how to make sure they will not lose their emails and settings. This logon problem happens at any computer that they are logging onto.

Their computers are both WIndows XP SP2 logging to Server 2003...

Comment

Have you tried resetting the password and trying it yourself?

I Know it sounds dumb but it seems every time in my life where a user was having sporadic password issues, they were also having sporadic caplock issues.
        VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Yes and it isn't the problem...

Comment

It's probably a saved password occasionally locking them out. Try clearing out their managed passwords under user accounts on the local machine that they use, and also use ALTools (free utility) to find out exactly where they are being locked out. It'll show you each DC they've connected to and which one initiated the lockout.

Comment

ALockout.dll can determine a process or application that is sending wrong credentials.
              Use the appinit.reg script to register ALockout.dll on the client computer.
              Caution: Do not use this tool on servers that host network applications or services. Also, you should not use ALockout.dll on Exchange servers, because it may prevent the Exchange store from starting.

Download Account Lockout and Management Tools:
              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

How to Install the ALockout.dll Tool:
              http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Implementing and Troubleshooting Account Lockout:
              http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...t-Lockout.html

\Rems

-=EDIT=-
              users who frequently have to re-enter their password
              Look very much like that cached credentials are used, because their account in AD is still alright and the password hasn't changed.
              The logon failures can be because they just enter the wrong password very often.
              Could it be that drives are mapped with alternate credentials (and cached)?

Also... (maybe worth trying),
              check the zones in Internet Explorer (Tools/Internet Options/Security) "Local Intranet" in their user profile on these computers.
              and, check if the "Primary Domain Suffix" is correct (ipconfig /all).
              (for testing, can you change their computer with a desktop of an user that don't have the "enter password" problem?).
              Last edited by Rems; 17th May 2008, 23:20.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks guys...I'l let you know what the problem was.

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post

-=EDIT=-
                  Look very much like that cached credentials are used, because their account in AD is still alright and the password hasn't changed.
                  The logon failures can be because they just enter the wrong password very often.
                  Could it be that drives are mapped with alternate credentials (and cached)?
                  It seems as if you were right. Once I instaled the ALockout.DLL on one of the client machines, my wife as my boss is away for the next few days, I discovered that an application that was using a mapped drive was the one causing the problems. I reset the cached credentials and so far so good!

Peace at work, peace at home!!!

I am confident this will fix my bosses issue as well. He has a number of mapped drives!

Thanks for all the help!

Peter

Comment

Working...
                  X