Active Directory user attribute "mail"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory user attribute "mail"

I need the user accounts in my 2003 Active Directory to have the "mail" attribute for a third party app to work, but unfortunately I don't have an Exchange server. So I ran the Exchange 2007 /prepareschema which is the equivalent of the older /forestprep in Exchange 2003 to extend the schema thinking this may give me the attributes, however my user accounts still don't have the mail attribute.

Will a domainprep or equivalent give my users the attributes they need or will I only get that if I actually fully install Exchange?

Perhaps there is another way of getting the attribute?

Re: Active Directory user attribute "mail"

Hello!!

Domain prep will not give you the mail attributes to user accounts. These attributes get added only when you make a user account a recipient in the Exchange server.

You need to install Exchange for this to happen.

Hope this helps

Chandra

Comment

yes that's what I thought, dang. Any idea on how to get around this, perhaps manually adding the attribute?

Comment

I for one shouldn't go that way.
        Exyending the schema is very risky business and requires a good understanding of the schema. Extensions to the schema can not be undone, created objects can only be set inactive, but can not be deleted.

What is the use of the mail atribute if there is no messaging service to support it?
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

after the forestprep (err sorry prepareschema now...) the attribute did exist I found out.

yes I know about the schema not being able to delete by design but this is ok it's a std attrib.

I found out I can set this in ad user and computers on the general tab even without exchange... so sorted.

I needed the attribute to exist for a 3rd party server that required the attrib even if you weren't using it's mail functionality...

Comment

Originally posted by Chandra1412 View Post
            Hello!!

Domain prep will not give you the mail attributes to user accounts. These attributes get added only when you make a user account a recipient in the Exchange server.

You need to install Exchange for this to happen.
            This statement is totally wrong. Actually "mail" attribute does not require any schema extensions. It comes with AD out of the box, but is not used by applications, making it informational only, until you install Exchange.

Exchange schema extensions introduce proxyAddresses attribute and primary SMTP address is getting stamped on "mail" attribute, but there is nothing in the world that should stop you from populating the attribute even if you do not have Exchange installed.
            See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...55(VS.85).aspx for more details.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

oh. ok then. proxyAddress was a recommended attribute so I guess no harm done, it works now.

Comment

Working...
              X