Computer Naming standards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Naming standards?

What would be the best way to name the network connected computers in a company that has about 100 computers that are used by different divisions, locations etc.,
    ________
    CX500C
    Last edited by smartcard; 25th January 2011, 03:36.

Re: Computer Naming standards?

location-division--desktop/laptop-desk
    location-division-user

just to name a couple, it is really up to you to decide what is more convenient for you
    ________
    Toyota y engine history
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:42.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
      location-division--desktop/laptop-desk
      location-division-user

just to name a couple, it is really up to you to decide what is more convenient for you
      As much as we'd all want easy-to-use names, they never work out. No one in IT wants to rename a PC if one comes in for service and another goes out as a replacement -- two renames.

Honestly, the best I've seen is a straight sequential asset tag PLUS an easy-to-use/access local application available to all where you can enter that asset tag and get all the particulars (current location, owner, etc.)
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
        As much as we'd all want easy-to-use names, they never work out. No one in IT wants to rename a PC if one comes in for service and another goes out as a replacement -- two renames.
        Gotta disagree with you there. We used the first 2-4 characters of a branch's name for their network / computer prefix, and then added the user's login name after it. Took only a min to rename stuff if needed. Didn't really have to do it often (and we had ~1600 employees).

Nothing wrong with using an asset tag system embedded in the name, as you can probably store more info in said system, but with ours, you know the location and who is supposed to be using it at a quick glance, no 2nd system needed.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
          Gotta disagree with you there. We used the first 2-4 characters of a branch's name for their network / computer prefix, and then added the user's login name after it. Took only a min to rename stuff if needed. Didn't really have to do it often (and we had ~1600 employees).

Nothing wrong with using an asset tag system embedded in the name, as you can probably store more info in said system, but with ours, you know the location and who is supposed to be using it at a quick glance, no 2nd system needed.
          I work in petrochemical plants and I'm guessing we favor asset tags as our computer names since our problems are many:

1) We have shift workers on at least 1/2 of the PCs so naming that includes user doesn't work;
          2) We deal with all PCs as appliances where a tech will always have a spare ready in the truck to drive out and replace should one need replacing;
          3) We're slaves to SAP. While we could have asset tags and computer names differ, we've found it easier to have them the same;
          4) Plant people are used to dealing w/ functional locations and serial numbers at those functional locations changing over time. The key to tracking equipment is always serial number (asset tag). Functional location (location / use / service) is equally important but a transient property of the equipment. Thus our tracking app.

My point is, if you're asset centric, you may be driven to an asset tag computer naming model. Not all that bad as long as you have the cross reference app in hand.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

We use asset tags purely as they are the only thing that is constant. Users, location etc all change. Having said that it does require a system for users mapped to machines and that brings in the human element therefore it isn't 100% accurate.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

the asset tag is relevant (unless you go the extra mile to tag the PCs one by one specifically ordering pre-tagged hardware) only is you use brand name PCs, preferably all the same brand, which is not the case in many companies.
              ________
              Honda Odyssey (ATV) specifications
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:43.

Comment

Sorry, I meant the machines are individually tagged with our own (supposedly) un-removeable sticker for the lifetime of the box. To be fair most of our kit is HP which has its own tag but we use the stickers (some people.... even stuck them on tables.. but I don't like to talk with them anymore...)
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

suppose the hostname got changed, how will you track that PC then?
                  built in tags can be retrieved with a simple command

also, it is possible to mark the workstations using the registry, that will not survive a reformat, but at least that will be something.
                  and as the last resort, most of the hardware components have a unique s/n, you can go by that

but all that will also require a separate database where the PC tag will be stored with a description of the PC details - location, users etc. which takes us back to my first post - intuitively understandable names do not need that extra database, which requires maintenance and upkeep of it's own
                  ________
                  Honda e engine specifications
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:43.

Comment

I agree with the machine names to be fair, I usually find it better to name them so we know the dept and user however each machine also has an external sticker on it that is on an asset database is what I meant.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

I have seen a few different ways to name the computers in an organization. I have seen random names that are automatically generated when building the computer (which I do not like), I have seen naming them by the person that uses it (but what happens if more than one person use it?) I have seen location as the hostname (but what happens when that is moved and you are not aware of it?) and so on...... The Method I like and that I have adopted from my past employeer to my current employeer is this: The Serial number of the machine is the Computer's Hostname. It never changes no matter what. It will not be duplicated, and It will allow you to promptly see the status of it when you look for it in AD.

Now - I have seen the description NOT used at all when I came to my new company. I have encouraged everyone to use this to identify what the computer is, and who it belongs to, etc... Here is how I put information into the Description:

MyCity - Joe User - Dell Optiplex GX620 DESKTOP S/N 1234567, M/T GX620 , A/T 298765 ( FUZ 11-8-07 )

MyCity - Jane User - President - IBM T61 S/N L3-ABCDE, M/T 8897-01U, A/T 245678 ( FUZ 11-5-07 )

Site or Organization - User FName LName - Computer Brand and Desktop or Laptop S/N Serial Number, M/T Machine Type , A/T Asset Tag ( Admin Initials and Date Joined to Domain )

I have used this form of computer naming and descriptions for about 5 years now, and I have found it easy to manage.

Comment

We use the following syntax: DDLLXXXX
                        DD is a two character code for the user's department
                        LL is a two character code for the user's location
                        XXXX is the asset number of the computer.

Whatever you use, the most important rule is to keep up with the standard once it has been set.

Comment

Working...
                        X