Windows Server 2003 Folder Redirect errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 Folder Redirect errors

I have problems getting redirection of My Documents as well as profiles when logging into a client machine.

Generally, ADMINISTRATOR can login to the client computer with domain login, and all user files are redirected to the desktop, but when a non-administrator user logs-in, no redirection of profile or documents are set.

I have installed Windows SBS Server 2003, and have client machines running Win XP Pro SP2. SBS Server provides DNS server, but I use DHCP server resident on my firewall. Domain name = GILLCO2.local, and this is specified on the DHCP server.

I have made sure that the directories on the server which house the user-specific files grant the user "full control" security rights.

My Documents are contained in the following drive on the SBS server: E:\users\%username%\My Documents, where "user" is a SHARE, which is aceessible by all, and each specific directory below that level has user-specific permissions. NOTE: %username% is actually hardcoded as the individual user.

Profiles are contained in E:\Profiles\%username% and are specified in each user's account information as \\dellserver\Profiles\%username%. NOTE: %username% is actually hardcoded as the individual user.

Also, I am not sure if this matters, but it is a little curious to me: The ADD USER wizard in SBS adds users in SERVER MANANGMENT, but I do not see the individual users as users in ACTIVE DOMAIN USERS.

Hi e-John,
    Base on these facts:

when a non-administrator user logs-in, no redirection of profile or documents are set.
    and

The ADD USER wizard in SBS adds users in SERVER MANANGMENT, but I do not see the individual users as users in ACTIVE DOMAIN USERS.
    It sounds to me that the problem that you are experiencing has to deal with group policy filtering. Administrator in your case aka Domain admins by default is in Users Container. My guess is you apply that GPO at domain level . Chances are you block inheritance at that OU level or that user doesn't have "Apply group policy" right.

Regards,
    Teamwork

Comment

In addition, if the redirection is really failing, instead of just not being applied as Azmantec suggests, the client eventlog should have relevant entries.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Let me clarify.

>>>The ADD USER wizard in SBS adds users in SERVER MANANGMENT, but I do not see the individual users as users in ACTIVE DOMAIN USERS<<<

Users DO appear in the SBS Business Users, and are part of the "domain user group." The group, Domain User Group, shows up in the USERS section of ACTIVE DOMAIN USERS. I am not sure why the individual users do not show up. I tried to "move" one from business users to users, and although that user then appeared in the list, her access was stil impaired, i.e. no improvement.

>>>if the redirection is really failing, instead of just not being applied as Azmantec suggests, the client eventlog should have relevant entries.<<<

Yes, this is the case.

EVENT ID 1085 for USERENV, "The Group Policy client-side extension Folder Redirection failed to execute, and

EVENT 111 for Folder Redirection.

All symptoms seem to point to a permissions issue, but I think I have exhauseted most all directories on the server's shares.

One point that is interesting: When the Administrator logs-in to a client machine, the folders of ALL users are copied to the desktop in individual folders (thank goodness this network only has 8 users), and all contents are synchronized (local and server copies). When a "normal" user logs in, this error occurs. My thought is that each user only has access rights to his or her directories, \\server\share\%username%\My Documents, and while he/she has access to \\server\share, he/she only has access below that to his or her username. Perhaps the access rights failure is as a result of not having access to all the other user's directories.

Which begs the question: Why would the administrator have all of these files on his desktop (what setting did I mistakenly invoke to get this odd result ?

Comment

> the folders of ALL users are copied to the desktop in individual folders

I'm having a hard time following what is going on. Are you actually redirecting My Documents to the desktop? Can you show us the path that you are redirecting to?

Comment

>>>I'm having a hard time following what is going on. Are you actually redirecting My Documents to the desktop? Can you show us the path that you are redirecting to? <<<

Sorry. The folders exist on the server in a share folder, e.g. \\dellserver\users\%username%\My Documents.

By default, and my preference, the contents of My Documents are also synchronized locally on each client PC. In the past, when I was doing the same thing with Server 2000, the local copy resided somewhere in the C:\Windows directory. With Server 2003, the local copy is on the desktop (not sure why). I can live with that, though. The odd part is for the administrator, logged-in to a client PC, not only does the Administrator folder (local synchronized copy contining the My Documents folder) install on the desktop, but also the folders for each of the eight ( users.

Comment

One more odd behaviour to mention. When a non-administrator logs-in to a client PC, none of the start-up applications that are resident on that machine start (like Norton Internet Security, AOL, etc.).

Comment

Just stumbling along here, but...

> the contents of My Documents are also synchronized locally on each client PC

And how do you do that? Not by offline folders obviously, but something you built yourself?

Something is weird, and I can't put my finger on it.

Comment

>>>
                  > the contents of My Documents are also synchronized locally on each client PC

And how do you do that? Not by offline folders obviously, but something you built yourself?
                  >>>

I know my mind is swirling about now, but as I recall, this is a default setting in a Group Policy. To ~not~ synchronize a local copy, I recall there is a policy something to the effect of "Do Not Sychronize Redirected Folders," and I have not changed the default setting.

Comment

I think you could that result if you did something strange with the folder redirection paths. Can you show us the path that you are redirecting to, for Administrator and an ordinary user?

Comment

Working...
                    X