Recreating DNS in AD to get two servers talking again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recreating DNS in AD to get two servers talking again

I recently demoted a 2K server after adding a SECOND 2003 SERVER to the domain. I took the roles from the 2K to the 2003 #1 server, added the new 2003 #2 server and integrated it into the AD. I thought I had transferred the FSMO to 2003 #2, from #1 (it is a much better machine) and then uninstalled DNS on #1 when I started having issues (thinking #2 was the FSMO). WRONG!! Now I have two 2003 servers on domain romy.local, DNS that is not resolving on server #2 and FSMO roles on server #1 with no DNS (it is looking to server #2 for DNS services). As you can imagine - BIG headache..

Anyone know a way to marry the two servers & DNS & AD again so I can then transfer roles to the (#2) PRIMARY DC? I am in a production enviornment so speed and correctness play a major part in the resolution.

The full text of the issue can be found at

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M...=239#a21431761

Re: Recreating DNS in AD to get two servers talking again

Do i understand correctly?
    Did you uninstall DNS after installing a second DC?
    If yes, Reinstall dns and restart the NEtlogon service on both DC's.
    Another option: Reinstall DNS than run NLTEST /server:%FQDN% /DSREGDNS
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Recreating DNS in AD to get two servers talking again

Yes, after I started to have some DNS errors I uninstalled it on what I mistook to be the "BDC". One of the main issues is that i didn't transfer the roles so it was actually still the "PDC". But yes, I deleted DNS. I reinstalled DNS and rebuilt the zone but I am still receiveng the same errors. I ran NLTEST /server:%FQDN% /DSREGDNS as you suggested and the results are as follows:
      I_NetLogonControl failed: Status = 1722 0x6ba RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE

on both servers

Can I TOTALLY delete DSN (from active directory partition too) on both servers - rebuild it on the PDC, get it running properly, then reinstall it on the second server and get them talking nicely again?

Comment

Working...
      X