Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a second domain controller and decomissioning the first

Hello to everyone,

I am in the process of adding an additional domain controller to my setup. I have a domain controller installed with 200 users of which many use roaming profiles which vary in size from 100MB to 500MB each user (but this is not the issue).

I just need to know after I install my second domain controller and add the Active Directory domain controller role to this new server how should I proceed?

I read that I should replicate the data from my old domain controller to my new one, then assign the FSMO roles to the new domain controller and that should be it. Can anyone maybe who has done this confirm my approach?

Thanks

Luke Camilleri

Re: Adding a second domain controller and decomissioning the first

Hi,

1. Add a new DC.
    2. Do not forget to configure it as DNS.
    3. Make it GC.
    4. Transfer FSMO.
    5. Change DNS address on clients to point the new box.
    6. Stop "Netlogon" on first DC for couple of days.
    7. Once you are sure the everything is working properly......Demote first one.

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

That method completely misses the profiles though.

This may be worth a look
      http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=3538

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...s/admodify.htm
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the help. just one more question.

As soon as I connect this new domain controllerto the domain, how will replication take place ?

Thanks

Luke Camilleri

Comment

You can't make a domain controller without connecting a server to the network. You will build a new server with your standard build, and then plug it into the production network. Then you will boot it up and run "DCPromo". As part of the DCPromo process, replication will occur automatically. Once it has replicated and you have passed the relevant roles to it, you can decommission the other server... don't forget that you WILL need to make it a Global Catalog and you WILL need to pass the FSMO roles of the other server to it. It should (best practice) also be a DNS server for your domain.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

You can leave the replication part to the Knowledge consistency checker.
            MCSE : Windows Server 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Born2achieve View Post
              You can leave the replication part to the Knowledge consistency checker.
              Utterly irrelevant. Replication occurs automatically during DCPRomo - the KCC comes in during day-to-day replication between sites and within a site to maintain the replication topology - it has no part in replication itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

How do you know that the profiles are being stored on the DC..............?

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                That method completely misses the profiles though.

This may be worth a look
                http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=3538

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...s/admodify.htm
                Kapil Sharma
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

How do you know that the profiles are not being stored on the DC..............?

although my comment was badly worded I agree.
                  Last edited by AndyJG247; 25th April 2008, 13:00.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

the process for the domain controller obviously has to be connected to the domain. In your comments it seems that the dcpromo will strat the replication by itself but how can i check the replication status?

Also i have a lot of services on the server like dhcp server and dns which i have to move and i am a bit confused about that.

present server has: dns, dhcp, domain controller, IIS, file server.

new server #1: domain controller, dhcp, dns

new server #2: IIS, file server

the trouble i think comes in as users right now are pointing to the same server for their shares and the domain controller dns and all, but now i need to move the roles to different servers.

users have also got mapped drives to the old server. I thought of changing the records on the dns server to point to the new server but how will i be able to redirect file shares to one server and other services to another?

Thanks

Luke Camilleri

Comment

There are two replications:

1. DS replication: Gets completed automatically when DCPROMO finishes.
                      2. SYSVOL/Netlogon replication: You will get the event in FRS logs once the replication will be over. SYSVOL and NETLOGON shares will appear on the new box.

For data migration there are several tools. You can use DFS from microsoft. Robocopy and many more.

Regards,
                      Kapil Sharma
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Luke,

Could you not simply create a VBS script to remove all their current mapped drives (logon), recreate them with the "new server", call them the same and give them the same mapped drive letter so they do not get confused?

Thanks.

(you're doing similar to what I would like to carry out in my offices)

Comment

my process will look something like below:

1. install win2k3
                          2. join the new server to the domain
                          3. run dcpromo (according to the post by kapil this would replicate automatically)
                          4. move the fsmo roles to the new domain controller
                          5. assign it as a global catalog server
                          6. move the files using the file server migration toolkit, robocopy, etc.
                          7. stop the dhcp service, copy the dhcp database. stop the dhcp service on the new server and start the dhcp service on the new server.

If anyone has any suggestions or corrections to the above please let me know as I will make the transfer of roles on monday evening.

Also I need to move a DNS server to the new server. does anyone know how this is done as unfortunately I never gave a lot of attention to DNS but now it is going to play a major role in my transfer.

Thanks Again,

Luke Camilleri

Comment

Is your DNS AD Integrated? If so, you need do nothing apart from install DNS - it will go over as part of the replication. With non-integrated DNS it's a little harder - you will have to set up the second server as a "Secondary" to the old server, make sure that zone transfers are complete, and once the new server is up and running and the old one gone, make it the primary.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                              Utterly irrelevant. Replication occurs automatically during DCPRomo - the KCC comes in during day-to-day replication between sites and within a site to maintain the replication topology - it has no part in replication itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true
                              You got it all wrong bro.
                              I was telling him the use of KCC after bringing the second DC up.
                              MCSE : Windows Server 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X