Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Catalog/DC Roles

Hi

I have a new single site Domain, 4000 users, 4 DCs, an Exchange 2007 SCC Cluster.

DC01 holds all the roles and is GC. Two of the other three DCs are GC also. Only one is not.

I had an SMS consultant in today troubleshooting Distribution Point performance for package delivery. He informed me I should remove the Global Catalog role from DC01, whilst enabling GC status on the DC which is currently NOT a GC.

I am under the impression single site Domains should have all DCs as Global Catalog. Removal of the GC role from the current holder of all roles would have what likely impact, positive or negative (particularly Exchnage)?

Anyone have any comments on this?

Many thanks in advance...

--
    "...Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell, in such a way that they look forward to the journey..."

Re: Global Catalog/DC Roles

Replication to the GC would be an impact on your links. Exchange etc would automatically accept this as DNS updates with the records.

If your DC's are not all GCs then you need to make sure the IM is not a GC. If all of your DCs are connected by high speed links then there may not be a problem with enabling them all to be GCs.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Global Catalogs and the Infrastructure Master role have no part in single domain forests. There is no conflict in having the IM role on a GC in your case.

I would enable all your DCs as GC. This will cause little to no overhead on the current load.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
        Global Catalogs and the Infrastructure Master role have no part in single domain forests. There is no conflict in having the IM role on a GC in your case.

I would enable all your DCs as GC. This will cause little to no overhead on the current load.
        Yes my thoughts exactly http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223346 . We have plenty juice in the links, the replication is set for a low interval anyway.

I need to ask the SMS chap tomorrow if there was some mystical reasoning behing his suggestion, I got distracted at that point in the discussion.

Thanks for the input.

st

Comment

AH yes. I can see a small flaw in what I said, apologies for that, no excuse.
          Did your guy explain why he wanted to change the non gc to a gc and vice versa?
          Last edited by AndyJG247; 11th April 2008, 09:27.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
          X