No announcement yet.

Problem faced in creating an additional domain controller in the same domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem faced in creating an additional domain controller in the same domain

Hi,
    I need to create an additional domain controller in the same existing domain in windows 2003.When i try to create by using command dcpromo or dcpromo \adv i get an AD removal wizard saying that "This computer already has a DC and this wizard will remove that DC " and also when i clck the next button it says that

"Removing AD will make it as a member server or if it is the last domain controller it will become a standalone server."
    It gives an option to check whether its a last domain controller or not and says all keys,users everything will be deleted and the domain will no longer exit ,
    kindly help in creating additional DC in same domain for windows 2003

Re: Problem faced in creating an additional domain controller in the same domain

Has another PC with the same server name ever been a domain controller?
    When you check Active Directory under the "Domain Controllers" OU is there an object with the same name as your server?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Problem faced in creating an additional domain controller in the same domain

you mean you want a single server to control two domains?
      ________
      VIPER
      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:25.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Hi,
        No actually this is a server system in a LAN network
        computer name :
        pc022944.demo.cognizant.com
        domain :
        demo.cognizant.com
        NETBIOS name given when installling AD
        NISSAN
        In my OU under DC I have the object named "pc022944"
        Here is my ipconfig\all details:
        C:\Documents and Settings\TEST>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pc022944
        Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : demo.cogniz
        ant.com
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : demo.cogniz
        ant.com
        cts.com
        cognizant.c
        om

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cts.com
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL
        8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-E6-94
        -19-43
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.232.62.1
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.232.62.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.232.5.10

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.232.5.20

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.232.5.10

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday,
        April 09, 2008 10:22:55 AM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, A
        pril 17, 2008 10:22:55 AM

Kindly let me know what to do I am totally stuck

Comment

Are you saying that pc022944.demo.cognizant.com is already a domain controller but you want to change it's name to Nissan?
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It would appear that the server you are trying to make into a domain controller IS ALREADY a domain controller.

If it is not WORKING as a domain controller, I would consider continuing with the DCPROMO to remove the server as a DC, and then disjoin from the domain. Rename the server to a completely new name which has never been used before, and then DCPROMO again (you do NOT need to join the domain first). This should get it working again.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

The message you are seeing means the machine you are running dcpromo on is already a DC. You need to run dcpromo on the machine you want to be an additional controller.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thank you for youer help,s actually i need to create DC and ADC in a single machine.is it possible then need to have of copy of the DC OU in ADC OU and then migrate users first and then their passwords.kindly help me on this regard and suggest me possible solution

Comment

Could you define what you mean by DC and then ADC?
                  cheers
                  Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

sorry i mean Domain Controller and Additional Domain Controller and if not possible kindly suggest me the solution for my problem whcih is :

need to create DC and ADC in a single machine.is it possible then need to have of copy of the DC OU in ADC OU and then migrate users first and then their passwords

DC- domain controller
                    ADC - Additional domain controller

Comment

not possible.

get a test machine, set up a second DC, transfer FSMO roles over, dcpromo the first one to remove the DC role from it, and dcpromo it again to set it up again the way you initially wanted it to work.

the only way is to actually run a virtual machine on the DC with a second DC. that will guzzle up loads of resources of course
                      ________
                      Honda RC51 history
                      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:26.
                      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

ok thank you if i am correct i should
                        main machine say DC1
                        test machine say DC2
                        create a DCPROMO in DC2 and remove DCPROMO in DC1 (i.e) its DC role and DCPROMO again as what?
                        Then add this DC2 machine in my DC1 AD users and computers
                        create same user with same id (i.e) logon id as in DC1 in DC2 (is it possible?)
                        then try migration of users and passwords
                        Am I right If not kindly clarify with steps needed to be done

Comment

Working...
                        X