Password Policy Prompt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Policy Prompt

I have set a domain password policy for 60 days. All the users receive a password expiry prompt 14 days before it expires. Is there any way that I can add to that prompt so it will state to send the new password once it's changed to the network admin?

Re: Password Policy Prompt

Not sure about changing the actual windows prompt itself, but I've been using a simple VBScript to warn users via email of when their password is close to expiring. Solved a lot of our problems for remote users, or local account users who aren't regularly connected to the domain.

You can modify the script easily to say or request anything you'd like. Works like a charm.

Comment

Unfortunately, the users don't read their emails too well.

Comment

If you, as the network admin, really need individual user passwords (and I'm not convinced any admin really does!), why not set their accounts so "user cannot change password" then, when they call you, you can issue and document a new one.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          If you really need individual user passwords (and I'm not convinced any admin really does!)...
          bet you never had to work at this office Ossian...

everyone is trying to help old Henry here remember his login password... and its probably written on a sticky under his keyboard.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

That is hilarious!

Yes I do need individual passwords.

Comment

Sorry, omitted one vital word above

"need to KNOW passwords of individual users..."

Oh, after arguing for weeks with a user about leaving passwords on stickies on the monitor, found she had stopped doing so.....
              .... instead, the sticky said "password in top desk drawer"
              Last edited by Ossian; 22nd March 2008, 12:03.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X