Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Restricted Error While Using Hyperlink

Hi,

I have a small problem, i have applied group policy for "Run only allowed windows applications" and added list of application also i have added exe names for microsoft office xp. all options are working fine except the the "Hyperlink". when i create a new hyperlink in excel document and try click on it i am getting "Operation Restricted error" message. Is there is any specific exe name need to be added on the list for hyperlink.

Please help me to fix this issue

Thanks in Advance
    Venkatesan S

Re: Operation Restricted Error While Using Hyperlink

Internet Explorer? (iexplore.exe)

Also there may be DLLs which are executed when you click a link which you need to add... use filemon (in the Windows Resource kit I believe) to see what files the machine launches when you click the link - although be warned that you may be looking for a needle in a haystack!!

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your reply, i have tried using filemon, as well as process explorer still its not showing any extra programs, i have added the listed exe files shown by the tool still the same issue persist.

Regards,
      Venkatesan S

Comment

Hi Venkatesan,

Try this (page does not load correctly so I pasted a section here),
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940169

CAUSE
        When you upgrade from Internet Explorer 6 to Internet Explorer 7, the value of the (Default) registry entry is changed as follows:
        "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome
        When you use Internet Explorer 6, the value of the (Default) registry entry is as follows:
        "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
        Back to the top

RESOLUTION
        Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
        2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell \open\command
        3. Double-click (Default).
        4. In the Edit String dialog box, type "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome, and then click OK.

Back to the top

STATUS
        Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

Another thing u might want to look at is the way Office converts hyperlinks after saving a document. U can disable this with a GPO: User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Microsoft Office 2003/Tools | Options | General | Web Options.../Files --> Update links on save --> disabled

Bye,
        Peter
        Last edited by peterstam; 3rd April 2008, 13:10.

Comment

Hi Peter,

I have tried the first solution given by you, its not working i am getting the same error again.

In the 2nd option you have mentioned about a gpo change but i haven't find that gpo option in my domain.
          Regards,
          Venkatesan S

Comment

Hi Peter,

Thanks, Thanks , Thanks,

Its worked i have applied the Office 2003 group policy template, As per your update i have disabled the mentioned settings, Hyberlinks are working fine now in excel. Great Help you have fixed the issue which is pending more than a month
            Regards,
            Venkatesan S

Comment

Venkatesan and [email protected] you are the same person right?, have you any more accounts here?
              There is no excuse for opening more than one user for your personal use. One is enough.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Could u please reply me......
                I am getting the problem in this site...so plz

Comment

Working...
                X