Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD copy

Hi All,

Totally love the site, and finally found my way to the forums. I sincerely hope this hasn't been posted before, but I am at my wit's end, and seriously going grey over this one ( and only 32, not good )

Basically, I have W2k3 server, AD, and Exchange running. Server is on a go slow, and because this is the only one we have, cannot take it out of action.

So I thought, OK build a spare one to take place on a temp basis while I sort and rebuild old one.

I have system state backup, and also Info store back all done ( NT BACKUP USED )

Now the problem I have is the 2 peice's of kit, are totally, and I mean totally different hardware, you name it, everything is different.

How can I copy, duplicate, migrate what ever you want to call it the AD database from the old one to the new ( temp ) one. I found MS page on "How to perform a Disaster Recovery restoration of Active Directory on a Computer with a different Hardware Configuration" and followed it step by step, but after the restore, server refuses to reboot, even after running an in-place repair, as suggested by MS.

I would hate to think, that the only way is to input all of the users ( around 200 ) manually again?

As I said, I have exhausted Google and the like, and always seem to draw a blank, so if anybody on here could help a desperate man in desperate need from going Insane, it would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks for reading my blurb

Shaun C
    Complete Novice at AD and Exchange

Re: AD copy

Simple.

Build the new server and add it to your domain. run "dcrpomo" from the command promtp and follow the wizard.

This will make the new server a domain controller and replicate all objects from the old server to the new server. Check out the following article:

http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm.

After the reboot you will need to make it a GC and transfer the FSMO roles before removing the old server:

http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

http://www.petri.com/configure_a_new_global_catalog.htm

this should be enought to get you started. Feel free to post back with any issues. There's always someone around to help

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

WOW Thanks for your reply. Although some terminology I am not ofay with, will try to pick this up as I go along.

What about naming the temp server, obviously I cannot call it the same, and then I will have the problem of the clients ( Outlook using Name Resolution not IP Address ) of not contacting the server.

We don't use DHCP on site, it's all dedicated, and we have 8 different sites, all different IP address's, one is 192.168.x.x and another will be 10.185.x.x you see where I am going.

Not my doing trust me.

So I would have to have a different name for the server, different IP address, and different domain name? Would this completly screw up Exchange?

Sorry for more blurb, but you did say ask

Again Many Thanks

Comment

This is the best way to do it as I see (Other may have some opinions)

1 Build new server and add to domain
        2. Dc promo new server so it's an additional domain controller in your existing domain and make sure it's a DNS server as well.
        3. Transfer FSMO roles (URL I supplied above)
        4. Make new server a GC (Global Catalogue - URL I supplied above)
        5. Install exchange on new server and join to existing exchange infrastructure
        6. Migrate mailboxes from old exchange server to new server (Client's will automatically identify that their mailboxes have migrated)
        7. Uninstall exchange from old server
        8. DCpromo old server so it;s no longer a domian controller and remove from Domain.
        9 Rebuild old server and then follow the same process to transfer everything back across.

This is obviosuly very high level but it gives you a rough idea of what you have to do.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I know this might sound a silly question, but would just like to make sure I know what I am doing ( as you said, this is very high level stuff )

Can this be done in an live environment, or is it a night time / weekend job?

Once again, thank you michael for you help on this, very much appreciated. And there was me thinking AD was a simple database containing users info that could be moved willy nilly.

Should of known better

Comment

Most can be done live without impacting users.

Can I recommend you do NOT have Exchange on a domain controller, much better to have it on a member server

So:
            Build 2 new servers
            Make 1 a DC (DCPROMO)
            Make new DC a global catalog and DNS server, update DNS on clients (Why not use DHCP at least at your main site?)
            Install Exchange on the other as part of same Exchange organisation
            Move mailboxes to new exchange server -- Outlook should pick that up and modify its settings
            Transfer FSMO roles to new DC AND CHECK
            Replicate Public Folders etc to new Exchange AND CHECK
            Uninstall Exchange on old server
            DCPROMO old server to demote it
            CHECK EVERYTHING IS STILL RUNNING AT ALL STAGES
            Nuke old server, reinstall and make it a DC
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian.

2 servers, completely identical would be heaven, but unfortunitly money is an object in my industry, so thats a no go.

Above reason to have exchange on original server, although I know it's not advisable, it has worked seemlessly for 4yrs this year.

Don't run DHCP as never had here, before I arrived, so just kept it the same. Old saying, if it isn't broke, don't fix it?

Why would I have to update DNS on client's PC's, as we don't run DNS on site's?

Comment

Ah, $$$ (or ) beats good practice any day Are you sure you can't get the bean-counters to shell out....

As far as DNS goes, it is vital for active directory. Your first DC will almost certainly have DNS installed and the clients should have it as their default DNS server. When that goes offline, they will need to get DNS from the new DC, so will need their DNS settings changed.

Do a wee for Exchange on Domain controller and you will find it is not recommended, and makes life difficult if you ever want to demote the DC.

Good Luck!
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X