Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concepts about Site Link and Site link bridge

Hi,
    I have been studying about Active directory site and site link bridge. One thing that is confusing me is Do I need to create site link bridge manually between two diffrent sites or KCC will do Automatically?
    Another problem is I am not clear with site link bridge. As I think site link bridge we have to create between the sites that are not connected directly. What I think is lets say we have site A and site D and we have site B and site C between them. If site transivity has been disabled site A can not replicate with Site D. So for replication between A and D we need to create bridge. Am I right here? What are the other advantages or usage of site link bridge? Are there any hard and fast rule for selecting bridge head servers? can we select Global catalog server as bridge head servers too?
    any help in answering these questions would be appreciating.

Re: Concepts about Site Link and Site link bridge

I don't blame you. I've never found a decent guide to Sites & Services. 99% of them are just copied from the AD manual.

For us I have 3 site links

LA-SD
    LA-SF
    LA-CH

Within each of these is our sites from our "hub" office and a branch office site. Once this is setup KCC will use this information to setup the connections. Also site link bridging is on by default. If the DCs at our hub site go down, KCC will automatically create connections between the other sites. Once they come back online KCC again will optimize the connections.

Some people just put all their sites in a single site link and let KCC take it from there.

Comment

i found answer for some of question
      site link bridge is requried for sites which are not directly connected to each other and site transitivity is disabled. by default all site links are transative. Means If site a, b, c and d are connected together in ring topology. a,b,c and d are transative by default. but if we disable site link transitivity. A and D cannt replicate because b and c sites are between a and d , same with site b and c cannt replicate because D and A sites are between them. so for replication we need to create site link bridge for a and d and b and c in order for AD to replicate data.

we can select any computer as bridge head server. recomended practise is server with less load or GC are ideal candidate for bridge head server.

I have not connected site link by my self. i know there is one link default-ip-link.
      I am wondering if there are two sites exist in my domain. Do I need to create site link manually or site link created automatically?

any help would be appreciable
      thanks once again

Comment

Although It uses the same link to connect all sites but it's not recommended by MS to use the single link for more then 3 sites. So if you have more then 3 sites, you can create manual site link also.......

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Hi,
          So it means we do not have to create site links between two sites. The link creation is automatic. Am I right?

Comment

Yes.

Regards,
            Kapil Sharma
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Working...
            X