Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join server as member server ?

Greetings,
    I have just procured a brand new server. I am going to be installing Windows 2003 R2 server standard on this hardware. This machine will be our Microsoft SQL Server box. Should I install 2003 server so this machine is a member server of the AD ? Or should I just join it to the domain ?

what is the best practice here ?

thanks in advance,
    Darryl

Re: Join server as member server ?

A member server is normally joined to the domain. Do you mean a "stand alone" or "workgroup" server?

IMHO, to take advantage of integrated Windows authentication in SQL server (so not to have to mess with lots of user logins and passwords), make it a domain member.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I just seem to remember that when installing 2003 R2 it asks if it is to be a domain member server and you had to choose. Once chosen, you couldn't change your mind without a re-install.

Comment

No, honestly, you can add/remove it from a domain after the event...

On install it gives you the initial choice as part of the network setup as, with a server, you are likely to have a good idea of where you want it when setting up

After that you can go into My Computer--Properties--Computer Name and change from domain to workgroup
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X