Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro reinstall can not join Domain

Hi all,

I have two DC integration DNS running Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit ...

And have a PC running Windows XP Pro, it computer name is Yan.abccompany.com and have a static IP 192.168.1.69

This PC work fine can joined the Domain, but since it is old for the hardware, so my company buy a new PC, reinstall the XP Pro, then turn off it, and then give the New PC same computer name, and IP. after reboot.

Let the new PC join the Domain, but it show up a error windows that don't allow me to join, said the DC is offline etc ...

I try open AD user management interface, on the "Computer" tab, delete the object "Yan" also try reset .... and then go to DNS delete the yan's IP record and try to join the Domain also not work ..

The end, I am using rename the computer name to PC0001.abccompany.com to join the Domian ...

What is the wrong on my two DC?? Why it not let the new PC using same IP, same computer name to join the Domain?

Thank you

Re: XP Pro reinstall can not join Domain

Search in AD for the old name and make sure it's not persent on any of the DCs.

Try to rename the computer to the old name if it works now.........

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

To expand a little on Kapil's note...

You have 2 DC's, so if you delete the entry on one, you need to wait for the 2nd DC to pick up the changes.

The IP address will have no effect on what you are trying to do. It only cares about the name->SID relationship. AD stores the SID or unique ID for every user/computer. Since you have a new machine, the SID is different. AD sees that the name belongs to another SID thus denying the "spoofing" pc.

Easiest fix is to not use the same name, and join the domain cleanly. Then delete any references to the old pc as it no longer exists.
      Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

JackG and Kapil,

Thank you very much ...

I am new in AD, so your mean of "Then delete any references to the old pc as it no longer exists"

Do it is same as go to "computer", delete the "Yan" this computer is okay??

Thank you.

Comment

Yes........

Now try to rename it to old name and see.....What it says?

Regards,
          Kapil Sharma
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Thank you, it work fine now.

Comment

Working...
            X