Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD DNS zones

We are getting the following warning in Event viewer at startup:

"The zone mydomain.local was previously loaded from the directory partition MicrosoftDNS but another copy of the zone has been found in directory partition DomainDnsZones.mydomain.local. The DNS Server will ignore this new copy of the zone. Please resolve this conflict as soon as possible."

I think this stems from an upgrade from SBS to the full version of Server 2003, as using ADSI Edit I can see all our 'normal' objects (users, computers etc) under one container

DC=mydomain, DC=local

while the MicrosoftDNS container referred to in the message appears under another container

DC=ForestDNSZones, DC=mydomain, DC=local

I've read KB articles 817470 and 867464.

In plain english, what should I do to resolve this? Is there a simple way to merge the containers, or copy between them? The KB articles seem to imply that retaining ForestDNSZones would be preferable.

Many thanks
    Peter

Re: AD DNS zones

This has to do with the fact that DNS application partitions have been created (probably during the upgrade).

How are the zones configured currently ? "All DCs in domain/All DNS servers in domain/All DNS servers in forest" ?

Do you have a single zone with subfolders or also _msdcs.domain.com zone ?
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks for the reply Guy.

We have forward lookup zones domain.local and _msdcs.domain.local

domain.local replicates to 'All domain controllers in Active Directory domain'

_msdcs.domain.local replicates to 'All DNS servers in Active Directory forest'

Many thanks
      Peter

Comment

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Many thanks
        Peter

Comment

You can remove the incorrect zones using adsiedit. The only thing that is risky is identifying the good from the bad ones. The sollution is found here:
          http://kbalertz.com/867464/Event-log...ws-Server.aspx
          [Powershell]
          Start-DayDream
          Set-Location Malibu Beach
          Get-Drink
          Lay-Back
          Start-Sleep
          Wake-Up!
          Resume-Service
          Write-Warning
          [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Killerbe, I've already read KB articles 817470 and 867464 (as noted in my first post), I was really looking for advice on whether there is a simple way to merge or copy between the zones.

Comment

You could try temporarily converting one server to a non-AD integrated secondary and directly editing the .dns files?

It's all I can think of.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
              X