Changing the location of where computers are added to the domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the location of where computers are added to the domain

Currently we have an AD environment where each department has their own OU. So marketing, accounting, legal, etc has their own OU and has their own IT staff. We've run the delegation of control wizard and given each IT group full control over their appropriate OU. When an admin adds a computer to the domain I want the computer to be added to the Computer OU under the departmental OU they have full control over. As it stands now when they add a computer it is put in the default Computers OU and then it has to be moved. I know we could pre-create the accounts in the proper OU, but I don't them to have to pre-create accounts.

Iíve even gone as far as to create a service account in each OU that is just used to add computers to the domain again running the delegation of control wizard on just the Computer OU in each departmental OU. No matter what I seem to do computers are always added to the default Computers OU.

I know there is a command line tool you can run that changes the default location computers and users are added, but that chances the location for the ENTIRE domain which I donít wanna do.

Running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and Windows XP Pro.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Changing the location of where computers are added to the domain

Use command line tool not to change the default location but to join the computer:

NETDOM ADD machinename /Domain:domain.com /UserD:username /PasswordD:*
    /OU:ĒOU=xyz,dc=domain,dc=comĒ /UserO:username /PasswordO:*

Note:

1. UserD is the domain user joining the machine.
    2. UserO is the user having admin rights on the local computer.
    3. Instead of "*" you can type the respective passwords in plain text but if you type "*" then it will prompt for password.

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

What if I don't want to add computers from the command line? I want to be able to do it from the computer name tab on the computer properties page. I know it's possible because I've seen it done.

Comment

There is no easy way to deal with this.
        You can have some kind of process (script?) that will monitor the default Computers container and will try to figure based on the naming convention and/or IP address, where the computer should be placed and will do the actual move.

Another option would be to write a simple GUI tool that will let the tech to choose the OU to which he wants to join the computer.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
        X